What have you been up to this weekend?

Les Henson

Saturday I coughed and hacked a lot, took painkillers and the steroid spray I have to have every day then suddenly remembered that I'd forgotten to MoT and tax this

Swaff.jpg

ready for some commitments soon so rang up our local testing place who said I could take it in anytime. 10 mins later I'd cranked it up, dusted it off and was driving onto the brake rollers and a bit later I was coming back with a pass certificate :D Soon after that I'd re taxed it and giving it a run to pick up some marker lights for

127side.jpg

Supervised my 8 year old as he drilled the holes after which I then wired up and fitted the lights. Finished off fitting a couple of 12v power outlet sockets into the control box I'd made up before I was struck down with the pukes and squits a few days back. Got a lot of stuff that was cluttering up the place away in the garage loft.

Sunday was mostly spent coughing and walking around the Woolpit Steam fair.

Apart from Capel, Sleep & Sunburn - on Sunday, Sarah & I went for a day out.

We figured we'd stop at the first brown sign we came to heading in a particular direction. In fact we stopped at the second one cos the first one looked sh@te!

We went to the Amberly Working Museum. I expected it to be naff & boring - but it was brilliant. Had a really good day. If you need somewhere 'nice' to take your family which will not bore the pants off you - this place is hard to beat!

Si

I went to Germany to visit Ben (isuzurover).

I managed to add 1700 Km. to the clock in 3 days thanks to a little detour while crossing Switzerland and I got lost a couple of times,almost gone in Luxenbourg instead of Germany...

I think I really need a GPS or at least a schone fraulein to co-drive

<_<

We also entered a fun trial competition,and probably did well enough (I'll wait for the final results).

Lots of Suzukis,nice girls driving Gs and Samurais,a giant Mog and some weird trucks...

I am a bit tired...

:wacko:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

you lost?? never!!!!

only 6 weeks and you get your truck cab! ;)

Si, Amberly is excellent - I have been there lots of times since I was a kid - always something interesting to look at.

Saturday I aquired some more junk and then spent the day trying to build some more racking to store the junk in and doing some fabrication for one of my dads busses.

Sunday I also aquired junk (from capel) and then spent a while playing with Orange's Rangie in the afternoon. Shame he then had to get a flatbed taxi ride home (it wasn't anything I did honest!).

not a bad weekend really!

Cheers

Mark

you lost?? never!!!!

only 6 weeks and you get your truck cab! ;)

It's NOT my fault,it's all the evil out there which plots against me.

(ouff!)

:angry2:

My cute truck cab...

:i-m_so_happy:

Saturday recovered from the hangover and packed up my room ready to head home on sunday.

Spent the rest of day in the park enjoying the sights then went out again. Went to bed at four. :closedeyes:

Early start sunday (11am) to put all my stuff in the 109. Filled it to the top. Where does it all come from? Twice as much as the start of the year. :blink:

Drove to Chepstow from Sheffield non stop in 3 1/2 hours. Slept lots (when i got here, not on the way).

Snailracer

saturday morning work (joy), then fitted the last of the jerry can store back panels, now awaiting doors from the powder coater:

DSCF2065.jpg

Then down to West Sussex and took Tombie, Rebel, and a few others out in the 109 down to Hayling Island for Fish and Chips on the beach.

Sunday lye-in till 13:00 (I got up early all week, so :P ), assembled and bolted the ZF74 to the V8, fitted a few more bolts on the adapter plate, and marked out on an alloy sheet the next bulkhead plate for the passenger side for the V8, ala:

DSCF2063.jpg

4x14mmx150mm high tensile socket head bolts secure the whole lot to the crossmember - looks very strong, and certainly is.

Are you sure they are 14 mm? :huh: The holes in the NATO hook, the one I have at least are for 1/2 inch bolts - most folks use 12 mm as they are easier to find and much cheaper too. Still undecided about the colour though. B)

Saturday was a vile day so I tackled the tip that passes for a garage, which is now all nice and tidy (ish). Fixed my BTDiagnostics turbo boost tester properly after about 5 years (needed some new insulating tape to stop an air leak - hi tec stuff). Sorted out a way of charging the battery on my bike without taking half the plastic off to get to it. Sorted out check chain for boat trailer. Tidied house up (a bit) (still not as tidy as garage though so got priorities right... :D )

Sunday was a bit better so I cleaned the Discovery, then went out in my RIB and consumed a fair proportion of the earth's remaining natural mineral wealth being a dreadful yob. Wish I had got a photo of the look on the face of a gliding sooty shearwater (they glide along a couple of feet above the water) when it suddenly realised half a ton of orange boat is coming up behind it at 35 knots - when I was about four feet behind it :D

Then I blocked up the petrol station forecourt with Land Rover and about 8 metres of trailer and RIB (saves messing around with cans).

Then I cleaned the 90 and then it was dark....

Are you sure they are 14 mm? :huh: The holes in the NATO hook, the one I have at least are for 1/2 inch bolts - most folks use 12 mm as they are easier to find and much cheaper too. Still undecided about the colour though. B)

I have used M14 bolts in NATO hitches before but not all NATO hitches seem to be able to fit 14mm bolts, I think it comes down to how well the bits of the hitch are lined up when bolted together.

Dropped my Disco down for is service then did a few runs to the tip with garden carp.

Then a mate invited us down to calshot beach in there beach hut so we loaded up the camper and off we went and didn't come home till last night.

sundance_small.jpg

its a shame we selling the camper relay it is very civilised

I have used M14 bolts in NATO hitches before but not all NATO hitches seem to be able to fit 14mm bolts, I think it comes down to how well the bits of the hitch are lined up when bolted together.

There was a discussion on this subject on the old place when it was still the old place and I think the answer is that the hitch will just take M14s but the holes in a Defender crossmember are only about 13.5mm so unless you drill x-member out they won't go through that. Four M12s, assuming they are 8.8 or higher, are unlikely to break off anyway unless you really are trying a bit too hard :rolleyes: ... can't remember the "ping" figure for the 4 bolts off hand but it was about 20 odd tonnes :blink:

The holes in mine are definitely a tad over 14mm, and the bolts are definitely 14mm as well. I drilled the spreader plates with 5/8" drill bit to allow for slight mis-alignment. The bolts had to be knocked through the crossmember, but were a good fit.

My NATO hook is Dixon Bate item. Not sure if there is/was more than one manufacturer of these.

Les.

My NATO hook is Dixon Bate item. Not sure if there is/was more than one manufacturer of these.

Nope Dixon Bate are the only people that make them afiak.There is nothing to say they havn't changed over the years...

[rivet counter voice on] very interesting. I can't remember what I measured mine to be but thought they were meant for 1/2 inch. (14 mm is non iso stancard so a bit harder to get than say 12 or 16 mm bolt).

I was quite busy.

I went to Terry's and he made a bit for the bottom of my snorkel and folded a bit of chequer plate to cover the hole in the other side of the bonnet :)

At last got round to changing the fuel tank for the new one. It was a right bugger to get the old one out but the new one when in easy-peasy as it doesn't have that great big flange all the way round :) JD The landy even started after the change ! I must be getting the hang of this land rover lark :D

I fitted new brake pads to the back axle. Can anyone tell me why the back pads wear out long before the fronts ? and why does one wear faster on one side of the caliper than the other ? Bizarre !

I replaced the wiring from the Albright solenoid to the winch motor in 50mm2, I'd like to pretend that there is some fancy electrical reason why I used heavier wire than most (35mm2) but the simple truth is that I got it for free :)

I cleared the front axle breather and replaced the breather tube as it had a hole in it - not good for breathing when it's full of mud :(

To top it all off, I then cut chunks out of a couple of trees to stop the light being blocked, and carted the remains down the dump.

I was all finished by tea-time, ate my roast, had 40 winks and then off to work for a rest :)

Mo

sat spend a couple of hours polishing my bonnet (no, not a euphanism for you know what) and then assembling it (kit car), then off for a sort mtb ride.

sun, due to sunburnt back - ouch :angry: did a little walk looking for newly born swanlets, here they are from the previous week

DSC01955.jpg

'Swanlets'!! what are bluddy Swanlets 02? :wacko:

They are called Cygnets m8.

TSK, some people know NOWT! :angry:

[getting picky] And if you saw them last week< they ain't new born any more are they, in fact in Swan terms they are probably the equivalent of gobby little 8-year olds. [/getting picky]

Les. :)

Yesterday I drove a friend of mine to his wedding on my white-topless-SIII :D but I had to wash the series on saturday afternoon :rolleyes:

On the way to the cerimony, we passed a dirt road that looked "interesting" and deserved to be explored... but we decided to forget that and continue on our way :angry:

I went laning on the way to a wedding. As I have a 110CSW I was giving a few of the lads and their missus's a lift. I knew a nice little lane that was on the way so just turned of the main road down this lane. All the women were complaining saying if we I got stuck they weren't getting out to push. The rambler types we passed gave us some funny looks - 110 with 10 people in all dressed up to the nines in best clobber green laning :D

Guest diesel_jim

just looked at the .pdf sheet that dixon bate sent me, and it shows the holes as 9/16" or 14.27mm :D

SWMBO and I spent the weekend moping around mourning the passing of our 14 year old chololate labrador, "Buster", old age got the better of him on Friday and we had to take him to the vets for that rather expensive last injection.

RIP old boy!

DSCF1578.jpg