Disco 1 tailgate

tunnel1

Anyone out there in Landrover land got a schematic diagram of the tailgate lock assembly for a discovery 1. I think mine is shot because I can not open it from out side but until one of my kids put the child lock on I could open it from inside. That raises another question how can I open the door with the child lock on and the assembly not allowing me to open from outside? Any help would be appreciated.

By the way is the landrover scrap yard still open in Bury ie A1 Breakers ltd?

You can try holding the key in the unlock position (as far as you can turn it) and tugging the outside handle. The spring in the lock breaks, and this might be enough to overcome the problem to get the door open. The spring is a couple of quid, and changing them is documented on here in the tech archive.

HTH,

Kev

Had a similar problemwith mine not long ago, I had to climb in the back and remove the door panel to get access to the locking mechanism. Once the door was opened I gave it all a good clean and grease all the linkage.Has worked fine since.

Lever the Land Rover badge off the handle and give the lock a good soaking of Plus Gas or similar, it may help with opening before taking the door card off.

Thanks I have tried this with no result. One of my grand kind has turned the ghild lock on so now I can not get in from either outside or inside. Any ideas?

Tunnel1a

Thanks I have tried this with no result. One of my grand kind has turned the ghild lock on so now I can not get in from either outside or inside. Any ideas?

Tunnel1a

You could try holding the handle of the outside of the door as though opening and then with your other hand thump the door very hard next to the door lock position.

You may have to do it a number of times.

What this does is vibrates the door lock latch, with a bit of luck it may allow the latch to move and open the door.

The door lock latch can seize in the locked position due to accumulated dirt.

If you do get the door open clean the latch assembly before closing again.

Best of luck.

I would think it is the spring in the lock itself. It goes regularly enough to be a known problem. Easy to buy and replace. A little info is available here http://www.wizardbilt.com/

A word of advice though before you start is to take copious notes on the linkages to assist in the rebuild. It might look easy but trust me when you start on the rebuild you will wonder what way the linkages went initially.

Hugh