Discovery drop arm/TRE fitment

My power steering pump chewed itself to bits over the weekend on a long drive back from the lakes. It is absolutely destroyed internally with lots of metal in the ATF fluid that has not doubt made itself into the PAS box (6 bolt Gemmer).

Im familiar with rebuilding the 6 bolt boxes however I hate doing the drop arm ball joints and would rather fit a discovery type drop arm and TRE, the trouble is you cant get that arm for the Gemmer 6 bolter so Im going to replace it with an ex-Disco 4 bolt Adwest and drop arm, but I cant quite get my head around and visualise how it fits or what bits I need.

Is basically this setup that I require;

http://www.sumobars.co.uk/

(then click on relocate damper)

or have I get carried away?

Looking at doing the same myself as I despise those ball joints.I think QT Services also sell the stuff, including that clamp for the draglink to mount the damper. Having said that how hard can that be to make? And do you need the damper really? Bearmach(Mailorder4x4) do the bars but no clamp.

Nigel

Looking at doing the same myself as I despise those ball joints.I think QT Services also sell the stuff, including that clamp for the draglink to mount the damper. Having said that how hard can that be to make? And do you need the damper really? Bearmach(Mailorder4x4) do the bars but no clamp.

Nigel

Nigel, QT is where that particular bar and clamp came from, the rear one which sleeves the track rod has a grease nipple (ooh errr missus ph34r.gif ) in it right in the centre to allow it to roll over any obstacles but still keep the track rod straight and it's been on there for about 8 maybe 9 years

the front drag link bar conversion really is well worth while doing as the original system of the drop arm having a ball joint in it really is as we all know a RPITA to be honest, instead of taking me 3-4 hours to change over with the drop arm ball joint affair it now takes me 10 minutes per end/side especially as I copper slip the track rod ends before I screw them into the bar, I'm not sure about the steering damper to be honest mate but I stuck one on as it had one on there before i converted it as per the normal defender set up not sure if it makes a difference or not!

HTH

John