Vented discs conversion ???

FFR

Hi,

I recently made a large order to a wrecker in UK and, although I ordered a front axle with vented discs, the thing that arrived does have solid ones. I assume that it comes from a td5 D90 (really don't know) and, as I will not send the axle back to UK due to the cost, I'm thinking about installing new calipers and discs.

Now, the question: Which caliper will fit ? There are several options at LRSeries, but I don't know if they are a direct swap or not. I don't want to buy two paper weights.

Hopefully someone can help, I really appreciate your time, mates. Maybe some photos of the axle can be of some use to identify it.

Regards,

Carlos

Pictures of the axle and the axle number will be a great help to those that know more than I do :).

Hi,

The pallet is at my job warehouse, I will make the photo this weekend, thank you !

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

Standard Defender 110 TD5 County Station Wagon 2002 vented discs and callipers should bolt straight on! assuming that the axles are TD5, although I am fairly sure they will fit even if they are not!

Lara

Hi Lara,

I think they are from a td5, although I don't know how to recognice them. Anyway, according to some posts I have been reading, it seems that all the defender calipers are interchangeables...

Thank you,

Carlos

When I did my vented disk brake conversion on my 200 tdi 90 I bought vented callipers from craddocks/paddocks ,can't remember which company now but I just bought the disks and callipers through them as they fitted straight onto my 90's axle which at that time was a 91 era axle the one with the thick flange, they bolt straight onto the original mountings and are a bonus when towing or going down steep hills with my sankey on the back of it, I also fitted extended stainless braided hoses too

John

All Defender front brakes are interchangeable from around 1990-1991 onwards, at the brake rationalisation. From VIN HA701010 onwards 90s were given the same front brakes as the 110s. Prior to this they were different, and there was another change in 1986 I think. Vented discs were an option from the rationalisation onwards on both, but from the introduction of the 300Tdi engine (and discs on the rear) 110s were given vented fronts as standard. Rear discs are different between 90 and 110, don't know about pre-rationalisation but I know that post-rat. 110s have the same size discs on the back as on the front but with two-pot calipers as opposed to the front's four, whereas 90s have a smaller rear disc and a two-pot caliper to fit. Same as on earlier Discos.

Obviously the commonality doesn't cross over between vented and non-vented, but the vented calipers/discs will bolt onto your axle without issues assuming it is from a post-rationalisation vehicle.

In your case I would be getting the breaker over here to send you a pair of vented discs and a pair of vented callipers since that's what you ordered and, I assume, paid for?

Hi John, thanks for your post.

Retroanaconda, it took several weeks to get the parts (something over GBP 1500) shipped to Spain after the payment, so I don't expect too much engagement by the breaker to solve the problem. As I am in a hurry (moving to Australia soon, but the car must be left in Spain fully converted to RHD ready for shipment), I will go by the new calipers way.

Thanks a lot for your post, it was of a great help.

Regards,

Carlos

afaik the calipers are just fitted with a spacer between the two halves to make them wider for the vented disc i'd imagine you can buy that part seperately

Isn't there a tread in the tech archives on this very conversion? I seem to think that it was Les who did it ???

Todd.

My mate bought a spacing kit for his Disco. You get 8 longer bolts and 4 ali spacers with an extra O ring seal for the transfer port in each of the top ones. I run RRC with vented disks and they are indeed the same casting with a spacer bolted in. On the RRC though I have 2 brake pipe unions.

I understand you can also buy spacers for the bigger Defender callipers, I looked into it as an upgrade for the RRC but you can't buy them as twin-circuit callipers so I left it at that.

My mate bought a spacing kit for his Disco. You get 8 longer bolts and 4 ali spacers with an extra O ring seal for the transfer port in each of the top ones. I run RRC with vented disks and they are indeed the same casting with a spacer bolted in. On the RRC though I have 2 brake pipe unions.

I understand you can also buy spacers for the bigger Defender callipers, I looked into it as an upgrade for the RRC but you can't buy them as twin-circuit callipers so I left it at that.

Hi,

This weekend I had the time to dismantle the axle (it came with shocks, bars, etc) and calipers are pure carp. Little play in the diferential/half shafts/cv joints, but unpainted parts are seriously corroded:

rustb.jpg

Calipers are in a disintegrating stage, so LRSeries will be sending a pair of new cailpers to Spain soon :-)

Regards,

Carlos