Which Head Gasket

mutley100

Hi All

I have a little question

Which type of Head Gasket is best?

I have read the multi layer gasket is a good replacement, why?

When mentioning multi layer gasket somes posts also refer to head saver, what is a head saver and do I need it?

I have had a head gasket set with a multi layer gasket in it, but nothing else, should it of had a head saver?

All answers greatly appriciated

When rebuilding a K series, always go for the MLS gasket - we sell 20+ a year of these sets, and we haven't had a single one fail. the original gasket is a flattened coke can with some orange goo dribbled onto it.

the headsave is designed to fit between the block and the gasket (i think it's that way round) to stop the cylinder liners from moving.

What make of gasket set is it?

When rebuilding a K series, always go for the MLS gasket - we sell 20+ a year of these sets, and we haven't had a single one fail. the original gasket is a flattened coke can with some orange goo dribbled onto it.

the headsave is designed to fit between the block and the gasket (i think it's that way round) to stop the cylinder liners from moving.

What make of gasket set is it?

Hi the set I have has no name on it. El cheepo from ebay.

How do I contact you to obtain one?

Thanks Ian

I recently replaced a head gasket on a 1.8 Freelander and got a new "kit" from an ebay seller. The seller was a garage and seemed to know what they were talking about, which gave me some confidence. I bought the "kit" which included the "head saver shim" and the new head bolts, you should use new bolts because they stretch and you won't be able to torque them down properly if you re-use the old ones. I understand that the "head saver shim" is to take up the difference measurement when having the cylinder head skimmed to get it flat.

The "kit" contained everything including all the gaskets and seals and was about £50-60, so not exactly a cheapo but definitely a good one.

Good luck with the job

Keith

Whole range of opinions about head saver shims here :)

Head saver shims are used to replace machined metal from usually the head, but also if the deck has been machined. They can be fitted sometimes above the head gasket, and sometimes below and are usually glued in place with Wellseal or similar. These types of shim come in different thicknessess and the better ones are marked as to where they should be fitted (over or under the head gasket)

The K-series MLS gasket set comes with 2 x steel locating dowels to replace the original nylon ones, the MLS gasket itself, and the head saver.

'Head saver' and 'Head saver shim' are not strictly the same thing - the Freelander head saver goes on top of the head gasket and is there solely to prevent the fire rings of the head gasket from digging into the head face.

You can re-use the head bolts - screw them finger tight into the block whilst the head is off, then measure the distance from the block face to the underside of the bolt. Can't remember the measurements at present, but it's something like less than 95mm, then ok re-use. A set of bolts is only about £20 anyway, so it might be just as well to fit new and do it properly.

Les.

Hi

as per gtr bulitin

I replace the now modified oil rail in the sump (the head bolts screw into it)as the old one does not mentain the head bolt torque over time.

we fit the multi layer head gasgit & metal dowls, oil rail and head bolts every time and have no failures.

also its worth fitting the remote coolant level sensor kit as can be a engine saver!!

Hi All

Thanks for the info

When using a Multi layer gasket and Head saver (shim)

I understand the Multi Layer gasket goes on the block follwed by the Head saver (shim)

With metal dowels, then the head fitted and torqued down.

Do I need to use any sealer between the gaskets or head?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Got the job completed last weekend

Head skimmed ETC all up and running

2 days later water drops in header tank!!

I pressure test the coolant system to find a leak between the head and block, under the exhasut manifold.

The leak is accross the width of cylinders 2 and 3 in several places, not pouring out but loads of little one.

The head was skimmed and the block was cleaned. The coolant loss is in the place as it was before I carried out this job.

Any ideas please I feel really peed off HELP

I had this happen once exactly the same as you, but it dribbled out from the same place before I even turned the key. I replaced the gasket and all was well, so I guess it was a dodgy gasket. Couldn't see anything wrong with it though.

Les.

Was this using a normal gasket or the new Multi layer gasket with head shim?