Safari copy snorkels

Gromit

I've seen quite a few copies of Safari snorkels on Ebay.

Some of them are a molded one piece affair, while others seem to have a removable top.

All of them are around the 100 quid mark.

Given that the genuine article is about 200 quid, are these copies worth it? Anyone any experience with them?

I've seen quite a few copies of Safari snorkels on Ebay.

Some of them are a molded one piece affair, while others seem to have a removable top.

All of them are around the 100 quid mark.

Given that the genuine article is about 200 quid, are these copies worth it? Anyone any experience with them?

Mate of mine brought the all in one, one, utter carp, a real sod to fit and when in use it didn't take much of a impact to split up the seams, ended up in the bin.

Safari snorkels (proper ones at least) are bloody strong. I landed my 90 on mine and it just scratched it up a bit:

That's quite impressive. Was that a failed air-drop, cause that track appears to be flat :lol:

Cheers for the offer, but yep, need a TD5 one.

It was a track which sloped down and to the left round a bend, I turned the wheel left but the vehicle did not change course and the front O/S wheel rode up the bank. I stopped it in time, but when I went to back up it fell over. I still don't know to this day why it didn't turn with the track, I can only assume it was rutted strangely :(

if you go for a bearmach own brand snorkel, it will probably turn up as a safari one with the badge sanded off. got one for a mates defender a couple of months back - half the price, but exactly the same, apart from the aforementioned sanding marks, even the instructions were a photocopy of the safari ones.

i suspect they buy a bulk load, and remarket them

post-44-033468500 1284048884_thumb.jpgpost-44-052416700 1284048909_thumb.jpg

if you go for a bearmach own brand snorkel, it will probably turn up as a safari one with the badge sanded off. got one for a mates defender a couple of months back - half the price, but exactly the same, apart from the aforementioned sanding marks, even the instructions were a photocopy of the safari ones.

i suspect they buy a bulk load, and remarket them

The trouble with all the snorkels that come out of the wing is that they are prone to damage. I cut a small hole in the lower lip of the bonnet, turned the filter box round so that the in pipe faces the new opening, and then took a 54 mm rubber pipe out from there and then up the side of the windscreen. A couple of months later, while wading, I happened to hit a boulder just where the snorkel should have been and had the snorkel been there it would have been end of engine instead of just a winch job. Talk about premonition, foresight or luck (take your pick), what ever I was a very happy man.

Apart from being safer and less impressive (i.e. bling) it is MUCH cheaper.

Adam

The cheap copies sold by Craddocks for example are made of rubbish plastic that will crack and don't fit properly as stated above (mates needed a lot of drilling out to get it anywhere near). Also the tops are part of the molding so if you do smash one/hook it up on a tree it's gonna wreck the snorkel.

I'll second that on the how strong the safari snorkels are here's a pic of a mates disco he rolled believe it or not the snorkel is still in one piece (if not a bit bent) but was taken off almost went back to the normal shape and when offered up to another disco fitted without to much bother now thats strong :huh:

RADYRPICS13610005.jpg

RADYRPICS13610010.jpg