Airbag Removal Question

Ragtag

So I'm 90% through removing the dash on my '94 ES using the dash removal thread on here as a guide. Unfortunately that thread refers to a pre airbag dash.

To tell the truth I have got no idea how to remove the passenger side airbag or whether this can be done without risking setting the blasted thing off. Can anyone help? Also, assuming it can be removed, what is a safe (responsible)method of disposal?

As ever, all advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Chris

So I'm 90% through removing the dash on my '94 ES using the dash removal thread on here as a guide. Unfortunately that thread refers to a pre airbag dash.

To tell the truth I have got no idea how to remove the passenger side airbag or whether this can be done without risking setting the blasted thing off. Can anyone help? Also, assuming it can be removed, what is a safe (responsible)method of disposal?

As ever, all advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Chris

You need to get a second opinion but its my understanding that if the battery is disconnected and has been for a while that there is nothing to set an airbag off and its safe to remove.

It might be wise to not power the vehicle up with the airbag disconnected as this will probably put out an error code in the ECU requiring an expensive trip to the dealer to reset.

Steve

Battery disconnected and leave it to discharge as said. I took the airbag out of my old one when I changed the dash, just a few bolts into it from underneath IIRC. Don't recall it being a significant problem - the whole dash change took about 4.5 hrs as I remember, a job that seemed big and actually wasn't.

Battery disconnected and leave it to discharge as said. I took the airbag out of my old one when I changed the dash, just a few bolts into it from underneath IIRC. Don't recall it being a significant problem - the whole dash change took about 4.5 hrs as I remember, a job that seemed big and actually wasn't.

Ok, so the battery has been disconnected for about a year. That should be long enough!!! I'll take the plunge tomorrow.

Thanks to all who replied.

Cheers

Chris

Supposedly Air bag systems can store sufficient charge to deploy the airbags in the event of power being interupted in a crash. I have heard of people in the trade being shot by cars with seat belt pre-tensioners that fire a steel bolt out as the detonate.

If you disconnect the battery and leave it for an hour it should be ok. My LSE has a plug on the underside of the dash, once unplugged it is totally passive.

Safe disposal involves setting the airbag off in a controlled manner, not like the russian guy on u-tube who sat on it.