'to brit-part or not to brit-part' that is the question/

Leadbelly

'Consumables' from Britpart wear out all too quickly... I had shocks that lasted less than a year, I've had a water pump (which I must admit I think was Britpart, but not sure) that lasted 6 months. However, the P-Gasket has lasted two years, probably because it doesn't move?!

I should add... I'm only speaking for myself, I don't claim to have opinions from anyone else.

If it seals, rotates, supports, conducts electricity, flows water or damps shocks, dont, for the love of god, buy britpart.

We've all had our fingers burnt by them.

Until they can prove to consumers that their quality-control improves vastly, i will not go anywhere near them.

Im sure your about to hear lots more horror stories on this.

Phil

Sadly they do seem to have earned a reputation for poor quality parts. I have bought some britpart bits that sadly i am dissapointed with and now I always buy SKF/Timken or GKN bearings if I can.

However for the stuff that no-one else does they seem to do quite well. Perhaps because they don't have to make to a cost in order to compete I don't know but if you find your front door window drops out because the steel runners has rusted away then you'll thank your stars that britpart make one and it's not too shoddy at all.

Buy their pedal rubbers and you may find as I did that your feet grip them better but they are worn out by the next MOT, buy their shocks and find that perhaps they are not quite as nice as your old ones but they are cheaper than the ones you really wanted. Buy their radius arms and find they are just as good at QT ones in every way but the looks.

Like with anything if you can't decide for yourself by experience or judgement then you need to think about buying OEM. Spares are a fiercley competative market and like I said some parts are made to a price.

• 3 weeks later...

I have mentioned before that if I was in the LR Parts business, I would be reading this and similar forums.

Assumption "A" - No-one from Britpart reads this forum.............

Assumption "B" - They do and like the Millwall fans, are busily singing "Everybody hates us and we don't care".................

Assumption "C" - Someone from Britpart will post a robust defence/explanation on this thread.....................

(Not holding my breath over "C")

What does worry me is that the leading LR magazine carries loads of their advertising and sponsorship - which may impact on reviews of their products, or some journalistic endeavour in looking at the considerable criticism the company seems to attract.................

What does worry me is that the leading LR magazine carries loads of their advertising and sponsorship - which may impact on reviews of their products, or some journalistic endeavour in looking at the considerable criticism the company seems to attract.................

The downside is that vehicles are being fitted with substandard parts which raises the failure/breakdown rate and lowers the view of landrovers in potential buyers eyes i.e. "oh they're always breaking down" etc when its caused by fitting cheap carp parts. If they are not fit for purpose, they should not be available. Britpart should be learning from complaints about poor quality.

I'm lucky as being a relative newbie, i listened to all the warnings about them and now only use them as an absolute last resort.

As a vaguely related point a number of racers use Shogun lower ball joints (91-97). The genuine ones have recently changed and have a significantly smaller angle of travel and visibly appear to be of poorer quality.

It's frustrating for one off road car builder as it looks like he's going to need to have some made.

• 2 weeks later...