The thing about forums is.....

NicTheOrange90

Why does the Freelander fraternity get left out?

To be honest us hippo drivers are the black sheep of the Land Rover family.

Mr Bean....

This is a fledgling schematic.. We will be discussing this ongoing but Nic has given us some real food for thought.. I can't promise the Freelanders will make it into the plot tho ! ;)

Neil

Still sitting in the corner, Rest my case...

:unsure:

You submitted your post at 11.38pm on a Saturday night and it has been approved by me at 11.02 on Sunday morning.

If you don't like the long standing procedures we have to protect our forum that's your problem. Sitting on the side and bitching is unlikely to further your acceptance and ability to meet like minded people :angry:

I can't see what the problem is, a short delay in your posts showing up doesn't make you a social pariah :unsure:

Bitching like a spoilt kid does.

The thing about new users moaning about being on moderator approval is that it's a bit like digging a camel in the butt with a drawing pin and then being booted in the nostrils. Smart people either don't do it at all or figure out it's a dumb idea after the first boot, but there's always a handful that end up looking a bit bruised wondering if they can get another dig in without a reaction :)

This would be excellent and would help those (me) that rintd them out for outdoor reference.

There must be an html > pdf converter somewhere that would make it a less manual process

What would help is the tech archive is actually compiled PDF's instead of just saving a copy of the forum topic.

I know this would take time from someone but at least they would be good forever.

Hmmm...maybe, but why make another workshop manual, when you have Haynes and RAVE ?

The good thing about a forum is the option of getting a second view at your problem - get the exhaust on, removing the hub etc. An answer to the problems that always comes (at least for me :huh: ) when you try to do something on your vehicle...

The book can - in my opinion - never be replaced by the internet, and a helpfull forum like this can never be replaced by even the thickest, most detailled manual. It´s a lifeline, that gives you the nerve to do the four- and five-spanner jobs in the manual...

/Bo

Because the guides on here are miles better than Haynes and Rave!

And, of course, it wouldn't be to replace the forum - but the preservation of the integrity of the tech archive and the availability of it as a hard copy (that helped the forum) is a brilliant idea.

i like the pdf idea, at least then it really would be "reassembly is a reversal of removal"

maybe compile them as pdf's and then put them onto cd for a minimal charge to cover costs? rather than using up space by hosting them, and that way it will be easier for those "in the field" who may not have internet access when they need it most, and can just pop the cd in (or copy the relevant ones to hard drive)

maybe do a couple of versions, defender, disco, series and range rover specific ones....or just and all in one for those of us who like to have everything to hand...

i like the pdf idea, at least then it really would be "reassembly is a reversal of removal"

maybe compile them as pdf's and then put them onto cd for a minimal charge to cover costs? rather than using up space by hosting them, and that way it will be easier for those "in the field" who may not have internet access when they need it most, and can just pop the cd in (or copy the relevant ones to hard drive)

maybe do a couple of versions, defender, disco, series and range rover specific ones....or just and all in one for those of us who like to have everything to hand...

I would be in for that, even for some cash.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to "publish" (be it in PDF or book form, I'd prefer PDF to be honest) some additions to the RAVE or Haynes manuals.

I've seen it plenty of times in the RAVE, pulling an example out of my arse of a typical sentence:

Remove side panel.

There's no mention of where it's attached, what may be attached to it, etc. To elaborate on things like this would be excellent, and a great help to everyone.

Whilst the final type of file type is important (ieP PDF/htm etc) IMHO its important that anyone coming into the area for the first time irrespective of how long the guides have been in place gets to see the information presented in a 'logical' format (ie menu)...

So Im a new user to the forum and Im looking for basic information on buying a Land Rover (for example a Freelander :rolleyes: ) so I go to the menu, find Freelander (other models also available), then using the easy navigation menus go to the wikki/PDF/HTM pages about what to look for etc when buying such a vehicle. I might also be able to see standard equipment for model/year etc.

Alternatively a non Freelander owner (I dunno say a Defender) who wants to fit a winch or modify the suspension can see whatoptions are and the impact of doing so to the steering/geometry etc.

Menus are key, file format is not so important, Wiki software is a good start, PDFs are easy to produce, but are a bit bloaty (like me) and take a while to download and might not even be searchable in some instances..

Sorry if linky to Freelander did not produce correct page link :)