Front brake caliper bolts

Has anyone had them come loose?

Yesterday I lost nearly all braking power :( Luckily I managed to avoid rear ending anyone and was able to pull over in a safe place.

There was a huge pool of fluid from the NSF wheel and it seemed to be coming from above the caliper.

Today I discovered that one caliper bolt was missing and the other was finger tight! The caliper was pivoting on the remaining bolt and this had caused the joint on the short bent section of metal pipe to fail where it meets the hose!

I was able to get a short section of copper pipe made up and was able to get a replacement bolt. I used Loktite, but can't help wondering if a tab washer arrangement would be better!

Nasty - sounds like a bit of quick underwear change moment.

Seriously though, it sounds to me that the caliper wasn't tightened up/refitted properly, has it been off recently?

I must admit that I've never heard of a caliper coming loose. Generally speaking, the bolts/fixing are fit for purpose so long as the correct torque/ locking method has been applied, on that basis I would not have thought it was worth trying to re-invent the wheel - but I can certainly understand your concern.

The bolts should be loctited and then tightened mental tight (I finish them off with a breaker bar). I have removed them to find copperslip grease on the threads and other such stupidity. Even a caliper bolt with grease on that has been then tightened properly should not come undone, so I would guess that they weren't tightened properly.

Les

Nasty - sounds like a bit of quick underwear change moment.Seriously though, it sounds to me that the caliper wasn't tightened up/refitted properly, has it been off recently?

No the caliper has not been off recently, which is the worrying thing! :unsure: :unsure:

I think that this is related to an incident last week, when a rather loud bang at 70 on the M6 gave me another brown trouser moment! I pulled over and carefully inspected all the tyres, driveshafts etc and could see nothing wrong. I pootled along the hard shoulder for a bit and everything seemed fine so I resumed my journey. I put the bang down to a large stone or bit of shed lorry tyre being thrown up by a wheel! I now reckon it was the caliper bolt!