Land Rover TDi Gearbox into Series 3?

Chris x

Hi Guys,

I am currently fitting a 200TDi replacing my old 2 1/4 petrol lump.

I was wondering how easy it would be fitting fitting the 5speed box that came out my donor discovery?

Is it just a case of changing the bell housing and welding some mounts onto the chassis or do props need to be shortened/extended, levers in the cab e.t.c.?

Any adive is much appreciated and any manuals or links welcomed!

Thanks! :)

This has been covered loads of times, have a search back.

All the stuff Meccano said, plus you'll need to use the transfer box from the Disco.

Anything's possible - a 5-speed from a Defender will fit in (shorter, gear levers near the front) and the setup (LT77/R380 + LT230) is a stronger and smoother one than the original Series. I run a hybrid Defender/RR R380+LT230 in my 109, custom props were needed, but I could get away with the long bellhousing because of the extra wheelbase.

You cant just swap the disco box in cos the bellhousing is too long and the gear lever is too far back. You need a defender LT7.

You'll need to make custom props to suit, and make up/modify trans tunnel and floors to suit. It can be done, but it aint easy. You'll also fin that the chassis crossmembers need modifying as thye're in the way also.

I run a defender LT77, Disco LT230 behind the disco 200tdi in my series.

Jon

As long as it's still got proper springs and a proper front end you're allowed to swap other bits :P

Don't get me wrong I went down that route - but it didn't feel like a Series anymore :( To me it was more like a poor set of brakes, springs and comfort bits with a big engine bolted to it.

So I went back and refitted every single original component I had kept. I rebuilt my 2ltr petrol engine with some trick bits to give it a bit more go, the overall result is pleasing.

My main point is as someone who has done the modifying a series thing, just exercise a little caution and try to keep what the motor is about in the first place.

Each to their own though and all that.

The idea with my Series is to make it different. TDi engine, I have the Defender wings, bonnet, screen ready to go on. I have defender doors and some discovery axles to fit. Next year I plan to get a tax exempt chassis with the V5, get it galvanised and swop my bits over.

Im looking into geting a decent set of parabolics and tyres.

To me, its about building something different.

Now for the abuse............ :rolleyes:

The idea with my Series is to make it different. TDi engine, I have the Defender wings, bonnet, screen ready to go on. I have defender doors

But the best parts of a series are the wings, bonnet and screen. The defender look is just wrong imo, which Is why I never bought one.

Daan

Next year I plan to get a tax exempt chassis with the V5, get it galvanised and swop my bits over.

That won't work, just the chassis is not enough. You also need to have two other major components from the original vehicle (ie. the one the chassis and V5 belongs to). Everything you intend to put on that chassis will be from another vehicle, engine, transmission, steering, suspension, so you won't be able to keep the identity of the tax-exempt chassis. Sorry.

Sounds to me like you're building a Defender, but with leaf springs :huh:

That won't work, just the chassis is not enough. You also need to have two other major components from the original vehicle (ie. the one the chassis and V5 belongs to). Everything you intend to put on that chassis will be from another vehicle, engine, transmission, steering, suspension, so you won't be able to keep the identity of the tax-exempt chassis. Sorry.

Sounds to me like you're building a Defender, but with leaf springs :huh:

Who's to know there off another vehicle?

A Defender 'look' with an old/tax exempt chassis/ numberplate is different IMO. Different from any Defender/Series.

Who's to know there off another vehicle?

You underestimate VOSA. A Defender/Disco engine, transmission, drivetrain, and part of the body, on/under a Series chassis is not exactly something they will miss.

And yes they do do roadside checks, I've been pulled into one before. And yes they do pick Land Rovers due to how easy it is to ring them.

I'm near Crawley. We're reasonably well catered for, there is Slindon Safari and Boxgrove Pit down Chichester way, and the Shire Land Rover Club run events not too far away, quite often at Hogmoor Inclosure.

There's also Picadilly Wood at Bolney just of the A23, and Mud Monsters in East Grinstead. Not been to either myself, but I've heard 'less than reputable' things about the former, and the latter wants £50 to play the first time by the time you've joined the site.

No greenlaning really in West Sussex, there's some over in East Sussex, or the Surrey Hills.

Still, plenty to do.

I'm near Crawley. We're reasonably well catered for, there is Slindon Safari and Boxgrove Pit down Chichester way, and the Shire Land Rover Club run events not too far away, quite often at Hogmoor Inclosure.

There's also Picadilly Wood at Bolney just of the A23, and Mud Monsters in East Grinstead. Not been to either myself, but I've heard 'less than reputable' things about the former, and the latter wants £50 to play the first time by the time you've joined the site.

No greenlaning really in West Sussex, there's some over in East Sussex, or the Surrey Hills.

Still, plenty to do.

Nice one, Thanks. I live in Bexhill, East Sussex and have heard there is some Off roading down Chichester way.

Keep an eye out for a Defender on a Series Chassis! :P

The idea with my Series is to make it different. TDi engine, I have the Defender wings, bonnet, screen ready to go on. I have defender doors and some discovery axles to fit. Next year I plan to get a tax exempt chassis with the V5, get it galvanised and swop my bits over.

Im looking into geting a decent set of parabolics and tyres.

Not really abuse, but I think you're being daft - how can you think it's legal to do what you're describing?

Buy yourself a Defender and save yourself a whole world of effort/aggro and pain.

A couple of thoughts:

1) It's not different 'cos it's been done, Jon W's truck is a TDi Series with Defender front/screen, and others have done the same.

2) Coiler axles will be a PITA to fit with leafs, have a read back through this forum, it comes up quite regularly.

Not saying don't do stuff, just seems a lot of effort for no sort of gain and a lot of trouble.