Swivel pin bolts working loose!!!!

Gem

Hi, having after some time, repaired the previously mentioned fault, about two months ago, I was surprised to find that the bolts have worked themselves loose, again!!! defying the bolt 'locking tabs' that are newly replaced!, which means taking the whole damned lot off again and re-tightening the lower swivel pin, after presumably working the bolts back in to the casing? Could it be that because I relied on the 'o' ring stopping oil leaking out, and not applying some sort of sealant between the pin and casing, the oil leaking has lubricated the bolts, and made the nuts loose, or because I have a TDZ power steering thing assisting the otherwise heavy steering, causing undue strain on the swivel pin? any advise asap would be useful, as I have the whole lot off on my drive, which I share with other people at my house! Oh, the beauty is a 109 series 11a 1967. Ta.

Hi Gem, I had exactly the same problem on my series 2. It came loose everytime I had been offroading. What I found out was, as pointed out above, that the threads in the housing itself are very crude. And that they simply ripped the threads apart inside the housing. I ended up welding everything together :ph34r:

BUT: Further investigation brought to my knowledge that at some point LR changed that thread to a much finer one, which holds up much better. So this is what I have put on my series one now. Sadly I do not know when they changed it, but my axle is from a 88" but not the latest with the big brakes.

This usually happens when the 2 studs that are machined to be an exact fit in the steering arm have been lost/replaced with ordinary studs which are a clearance on the hole size. You should have 2x std stud and 2x oversize/dowel type studs, then locktabs and nuts.

Just re-read your post and its not clear whether its the steering arm or just the pin/block. If its the pin/block then my guess is worn out threads, which any engine recon shop or independent garage could helicoil for you

hth

Steveb

I'd take the studs out and preen them a couple of times with a centre punch, then put them back in = it will stop them coming out again.

G.

At least their feathers will be nicely lined up.

If you peen the threads all your doing is a bodge really, not really suitable for steering components. Peening is used once fasteners are properly screwed together as a means of locking them.

Hmmm, thanks guys, I re-done the job, the same day as the post, so I didn't get time to read these posts!! I will probably get time to investigate further, and lock-tite the bolts. The threads on this one seem to be ok, the one I changed a couple of months ago, was totally hanging, the threads were smooth.. thie new one is from a series111, about 88 or so, so it could be better, but I hope it lasts this time. I did seal between the bottom of the swivel and steering arm with some silicone this timeand tightened the bolts really well, and new locking tabs.. No leaks so far anyway. Cheers. Gem