New ratio calculator tool

ashtrans

That's a handy tool, well done!

I could only get it to work in IE though, FF and Opera the fields didn't fill in properly, some sort of JS error I guess, though nothing in Firebug?... Didn't even get an option to select a gearbox type.

Hi all,

we have had some software written for our web site which allows you to put in your gearbox, transfer case, diff and tyre data and it works out the engine revs at a given speed,

Ideal for working out what transfer case or ring and pinion to change to with different tyres etc.

hope you like it :

ratio calculator

Using Firefox 3.6.8 on OpenSuse 11.3 the drop downs for gearbox etc. are empty.

Didn't seem to work for me in Firefox or IE v7. It's surprising as the page is written in PHP so shouldn't suffer from browser compatibility issues as the bulk of the work is done on the server and it just sends HTML to the browser.

Let me know if I can help at all.

Si

Didn't seem to work for me in Firefox or IE v7. It's surprising as the page is written in PHP so shouldn't suffer from browser compatibility issues as the bulk of the work is done on the server and it just sends HTML to the browser.

Si - if you view source, the page is using Java. I think the php aspect is just the content-management side of things.

It's surprising as the page is written in PHP so shouldn't suffer from browser compatibility issues as the bulk of the work is done on the server and it just sends HTML to the browser.

Makes no difference - if the PHP is generating incompatible HTML code, it's still incompatible HTML code.

if you view source, the page is using Java

Or even JavaScript ;)

If I get time later I'll have a look through and see why the JavaScript isn't working on FF. No charge ;)

Or even JavaScript ;)

Java, Javascript, Ajax... it's all high-level nonsense of some sort or other :P as the boss says, proper programming is done with 8 toggle switches and a "STORE" button :ph34r:

Shame they didn't just do it in PHP as it would be easy peasy and work on everything.

There seem to be quite a few errors in the JS bit, mostly by not using proper DOM methods for constructing elements.

And, honestly, the population of the gearbox drop-down menu has no business being done by JS, do it in PHP. That the others are done in JS, I can understand, because they're dependent on the first selection.

I'll fix it in exchange for a rear ARB :ph34r:

And, honestly, the population of the gearbox drop-down menu has no business being done by JS, do it in PHP. That the others are done in JS, I can understand, because they're dependent on the first selection.

I agree

I didn't look at the source - I just assumed it would be written as I would do it with the lists being populated by the PHP / ASP. I'm not convinced that the list needs to be populated by the code at all - it's effectively a static list, so just embed the list content in the HTM.

Si