ZF4hp22 Spraying Fluid out of breather

zim

Morning,

This weekend i had trouble with my offroader. It's got a zf4hp22 out of a RRC LSE.

Basically, when after a little bit of use, when you back off the accelerator it was spraying auto fluid out of the breather (which is in the cab).

Anyone have any idea why it would do this ?

I thought it was possibly too full.... but it's pretty empty now :o

The gear changes are still fine.

Cheers

Gordon

With the engine off (and cold) the oil level in the box is below minimum... When you start it up, and check the level whilst idling it's extremely low.

The thing that confuses me, is it wasn't just dribbling out the breather...it was actually spraying out.

G

Mine did that a while ago after working the box really hard on big hill, was also at a dodgey angle. I just put it down to the oil being a little too hot as soon as the oil temp dropped to around 170 f it was fine and gave no more hassle all weekend. That was wern duu aswel G

Dan

Ok, i'm off to work for a week now but when i'm back i'll reroute my pipes, so that my cooler is at the front of the vehicle and i can get a decent fan on it. I'll also do a filter change on it and whilst i've got the sump off i'll fit a temperature gauge (think it'll have to be electrical as a mechanical won't reach).

G

Then how do you know when you have the right amount of fluid? (read how do you know you havent overfilled it)

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to fill a autobox, expecially after i rebuilt it.

Gord mine ran fine at this weekends comp so i wouldnt worry just get a oil temp guage fitted to her

Dan

Took the sump off today to find 4.5 litres of oil left in it (takes about 9 normal). Oil looked fine - really clean and no water, it's only had about 24 hours use anyway.

Fitted a new filter, a temperature gauge to the sump and put a new filter on it... So i'll see what happens now.

G

Hmmm, you will only ever get about 4.5 litres of oil in an autobox, as you can't drain the torque converter, I hope you didn't top it up with another 9 litres did you?

Good plan on the temp gauge front, will be interesting to see how hot it does run in practice.

Had another thought on the oil level, I am pretty sure you can get rid of the dipstick and just plug the hole in the side of the box, use this hole as the filler level, someone else may be able to confirm... maybe JST IIRC.

Hmmm, you will only ever get about 4.5 litres of oil in an autobox, as you can't drain the torque converter, I hope you didn't top it up with another 9 litres did you?

Good plan on the temp gauge front, will be interesting to see how hot it does run in practice.

Had another thought on the oil level, I am pretty sure you can get rid of the dipstick and just plug the hole in the side of the box, use this hole as the filler level, someone else may be able to confirm... maybe JST IIRC.

Cheers for the reply... i wasn't quite thinking last night :ph34r: I'm unsure as to why my dipstick has been showing low despite it having oil :rolleyes: ?

I've refilled it with one container (so about 5 litres, less what's on the floor :lol: ). Got some more engine work to do on it today, then i can go for a drive.

Isn't the dip stick hole a bit too low on the hp22 to use as a fill up ? I know some of the hp24's (as Dan's is) have the fill hole. My early p38 hp24 has a dipstick.

G