110-vibration-steering shake

klebe

Hi guys

I have a Defender 110 with 255/85/16 AT tyres and 34/10.5 mud terrains...my steering damper is a brand new OMU but

when one of the front wheels hits a hole in a tarmac road I have a huge vibration in the steering wheel .

Do you suggest anything to look after?

Thank you very much

Best Regards

Kostas

Welcome, I see you're new around here.

Has the vibration always been there? has it appeared since putting the new damper on? Do you get vibration any other time? at speed etc? Do you have to do anything to stop the vibration? brake for example?

Mav

i'd guess swivel preload isnt right. Failing that it could be any of the four balljoints, or play in the steering box itself.

The car should drive perfectly streight and true on the road without a steering damper fitted at all.

The damper is just there to make things better when driving over rough terrain.

Third for swivel preload..

FYI

By now I've changed all front axle bits. Yesterday evening I did drive the 80/90 KM/h road which usually does triggers the violent shaking. It has been fine for a while but with a higher tire pressure it went wrong...again.

So just now I've removed 0.5mm of shims to increase preload. I've not yet tested that particular road yet but hope this will sort it as there is nothing else to be changed.

Cheers

Marco

There is a stretch of road where my defender would go into a violent death wobble.

The road has a few pot holes and is uneven, but I would have to slam on the brakes and hold up traffic until I could get control of the steering wheel. :angry:

After checking every suspension part, swivel housings, steering damper, everything was perfect.

I took the vehicle in for a wheel balance and they found 2 tires had a slight bulge on the inside walls.

Removing the tires we could see how the walls had separated even though the tires still had 60% tread.

Anyway, a new set of rubber all round and no problems now, except I had to get a second job to pay for them. ;)

Phil....

Did you set the preload using a spring balance as per the manual?

No I did not, normally I do. To do it properly you will have to dismantle the complete hub, take out the shaft, loosen the oil seal and loosen the steering rods... to much work so I went for the quick test. Might have to recheck properly.

Today I have made two test runs up and down the wobble road, nothing went wrong. I tried my best to find a speed triggering the vibration but it just did not happen.

I've rebuild these swivels last year and have set them to factory specs. I guess the parts have bedded in and that's what might have been causing the play. I did take out 0.5 mm which is a lot, maybe a bit to much. Steering is still fine but with PAS it's pretty difficult to feel the difference.

Are there any preload readings available for complete not dismantled swivels (but with loose track / steering rod)? I guess much more force is needed to make them turn, would be handy if we can share data.

Cheers

Marco

Hi guys

I have a Defender 110 with 255/85/16 AT tyres and 34/10.5 mud terrains...my steering damper is a brand new OMU but

when one of the front wheels hits a hole in a tarmac road I have a huge vibration in the steering wheel .

Do you suggest anything to look after?

Thank you very much

Best Regards

Kostas

Steering damper will only mask a problem, and is not the cause. The favourite is the swivel bearing preload which is adjusted via the shims under the top swivel pin on each side. The second possible culprit is the panhard rod bushes, or loose bolts holding the panhard rod. Next most likely cause is wheels and tyres.

Regards,

Diff