TD5 110 Brake bleed

Hello all, this is my first post.

I just upgraded my brakes on a TD5 110 in the US (LHD). I got new calipers (front), EBC Green pads and new Rotors all the way around. I followed the manual on the brake bleed procedures but it is not doing the trick. I bled in this order:

1. Left Rear

2. Right Rear

3. Right Front

4. Left Front

The pedal goes very far down prior to stopping and I don't have the power, but if I pump once it stop great. I did the work about a week ago and I am assuming there is no leak as there is no change in fluid levels or pressure (stayed constant). Does anybody have any ideas?

Hello and welcome.

The "Haynes" specified brake bleed procedure is starting at the nearest wheel out and working outwards. try re bleeding going from front left to, front right, rear left, rear right.

They can be very awkward sometimes and need bleeding a few times, its also most effective with a helper pressing the peddel for you.

Has the brake peddel had a lot of travel for a while, or is it since you changed the calipers?

I had a similar problem (although i have an older vehicle) and I found that after repeated goes at bleeding it never improved, it turned out that my master cylinder was leaking and bi-passing fluid. a new one cured master cured the problem.

Mav

I will re-bleed with the wife tonight
:blink:

Mate of mine got his wife to help with brake bleeding, resulting row led to divorce!! Good luck :D

Welcome btw and I agree with the others, you may still have air in there. As there's two of you doing it, close the bleed nipple when the pedal is right down before letting it back up. Sometimes air can be sucked in around the thread when you let the pedal up.

Funny you mention that. I just talked to a Rover guy in the area and he said:

1. Start the engine.

2. Jam a 2x4 on the brake pedal

3. Top off the fluid

4. Crack all the valves

5. Keep filling the fluid (need about 2 bottles)... Make sure fluid level does not drop...

6. Let engine run for about 15m minutes like this

7. Tighten all valves in order (RR,LR,RF,Lf)

8. Top off fluid

He called this a gravity bleed.

Funny you mention that. I just talked to a Rover guy in the area and he said:

1. Start the engine.

2. Jam a 2x4 on the brake pedal

3. Top off the fluid

4. Crack all the valves

5. Keep filling the fluid (need about 2 bottles)... Make sure fluid level does not drop...

6. Let engine run for about 15m minutes like this

7. Tighten all valves in order (RR,LR,RF,Lf)

8. Top off fluid

He called this a gravity bleed.

OK, performed the above method in addition to my wife pressing on the brake as I was tightening each bleed valve. Work perfectly.