abs light

5432erick

Hi,

I have a freelander R reg 1.8.

The abs, HDC TC lights will not go out, I took it for it's MOT and although they said they cannot find any faults they won't pass it untill the lights are out.

I have taken it to a diagnostic computer, they said it was either the sensor or the cv joint, my mechanic has looked at these and says they are ok.

The disc on the wheel in question (drivers side front) is quite pitted and worn, is there a possibility that this is the cause?

Would be really grateful for any input on this, I am at my wits end, Thanks.

I assume that the diagnostics pointed to a particluar wheel sensor. If the disc is that bad perhaps you had better change it anyway, my 04 reg had an MOT failure last year because the discs were worn. However if you think about it the lights should go out before the vehicle moves so the condition of the disc or CV shouldn't matter, I would suspect the sensor or it's wiring and have you checked the HDC switch?

A sensor can fail and look totally fine on the outside.

If the diagnostics point to that sensor it will be right to check the wiring and if thats fine then change the sensor.

Also the wiring to the HDC switch on the gear lever can wear through and sometimes even snap.

hi

if i can remember the abs sensors is the early type that push in if so remove it and clean the end (its magnetic and can pick up sworf over time)and push it fully home and retest need to drive over 5-10mph if still on then swop the sensors at the front and get the faults re read and see if the fault swops side then you know if its the sensor and not the cv or wiring also if you spin up the wheel by hand and place a volt meter between the sensor pins it should generate a small volts if working correctly do the same with the good side to check results.

is the fault defently the sensor as the brake light switches were a common cause of the light on dash and the brake light may still be working even though the swicth is defective

hope the helps jon

I had a similar problem, i had a local mobile tuner come out he put his handheld on but could find no faults so he tried a little trick, through his computer he activated the ABS solenoid, i drove it up the road and it was fine, please make sure you try driving it before you think its failed as you need to get over a certain speed before lights will go out