Salisbury axle diff broke?

Gem

Hi, I have a big problem, I think? got dragged into the hard shoulder, with a skid when something locked up on my axle. I have a salisbury, I'm certain, after much investigation, I sort of wish I hadn't, as it looks like a troublesome fix? could it be I need to get a whole new axle, or just fix the diff? spreader tools!! axle off!! aaaah! I managed to drive it onto the rescue truck and off again, but lots of grumbling from the rear!! Any help appreciated. :unsure: Cheers. Gem

I havn't looked at the hub bearings yet. Will take a peek at it all tomorrow, when I have slept on it! I got an idea it could be the half shaft? which would be a better option. I know the whole thing has been leaking oil for some time now, haven't filled it up recently!! is that bad? :ph34r: I'm gonna get a seal, for the pan. I really got to convince my misses that a 42 year old vehicle IS worth having, simply BECAUSE it is 42!! haha! But I have frantically been trying to make the MPG seem better than 12!! (LPG, IS half the cost tho!)

A broken halfshaft doesn't usually lock the wheel up, Salisbury axles are almost indestructible, but a lock-up after a bang could be the sun gears and/or the crosshaft that locates them within the diff assembly. Salisburys are very difficult to rebuild correctly. If it is a half shaft, then the short one is usually the one that goes (drivers side). Easy enough to pull the shafts and check them.

Les.

Sun gears or cross-shaft? I have looked at hub bearings, they ok, the half shafts seem to turn ok, (I took the off-side one out, that's fine, I can't get near-side one out, it gets stuck right at the end, but when inserted back in, it turns the cog inside, so I presume it is ok). When I took the handbrake off, and try turning the prop, it doesn't turn easily, and seems to be the thing making the noise! what is in the prop shaft end of the diff?? is that where the sun gears are? and the cross-shaft? is it possible to get to them? of is it a new axle? thanks. G

Sounds like pinion bearings to me. If you've let the axle oil run low, then the pinion bearings are the first to suffer for it. Full axle strip to repair it i'm afraid. I would look for another axle. Remove the rear plate, or just drain the oil and see what comes out.. If it went bang and locked-up, then I would guess it's likely to be beyond reasonable repair.

Les.