Hotwire Injectors

need4speed

I bought a full hotwire injection system for my RV8 megasquirt conversion.

Ive stripped it all down for inspection / cleaning. Obviously the injectors are a complete unknown so i was wondering if its best i send them somewhere for professional cleaning / testing? And if so, is there anywhere that comes recommended?

Cheers

Phil

You can test them yourself TBH, cleaning isn't REALLY necessary IMHO, other than a squirt of some solvent and cleaning up with a rag.

For testing, put a piece of hose on the injector, then whilst blowing into the tube, put 12V across it. It shouldn't leak when off, and should blow through cleanly when on.

You can test it all plumbed up to a fuel line too, which I have done to see injector spray patterns, but the above test should be sufficient.

I did what Bowie suggested- we stuck some hose on the end, poured in a little paraffin to fill the hose and then pressurised the line with an airline. Then pulse on and off to see spray pattern.

We bunged any that were a bit naff into an ultrasonic cleaner for a while then flushed through again and check pattern.

We started off with some right naff patterns, but a few hours later things were much better!

Thanks for the tips guys. Just a couple of things though....

Firstly, im a fuel-injection novice so i have no idea what the spary pattern should look like?

Also, i dont own an ultrasonic cleaner. If i find that some of my injectors arent 100%, where would i send them and how much would it roughly cost?

Phil

It was one exactly like that- I warn you it did take a fair while though. :D

The only downside was that the three minute cut off was annoying, I just set the cooker alarm to go off and kept going back to restart the thing.

I used hot water with washing up liquid, and after they had been through a few cycles I would go out to the garage, blow them through with air and then flush through with Paraffin.

Any that were not up to scratch went back in and any that were good were flushed through further still with air and Paraffin to remove any water and then stored.

This was on flapper injectors, and after cleaning I replaced the pintle cap and filter basket, good as new!

• 4 weeks later...

I've just been looking further into injector cleaning while I have my engine apart.

While it's not strictly LR, there's a good page showing the basics of a similar style of injector here.

Also some details on DIY injector cleaning here, for those that are so inclined :)

Service kits from Mr Injector here.