Mystery of the loose oil filter

Will F

After finding a surprising amount of oil under the engine and my TD5 marking its territory slightly more often and quickly than before I traced the oil coming from my oil filter. When I gave it a clean with a rag I found that the filter was actualy loose :o Not easy to get to so I just hand tightened as best I could.

I have never heard of an oil filter working itself loose so I presume it was not put back properly. (about 3 months back).

2 questions:

How tight should it actualy be?

Should I replace this filter?

It has also solved my starting problem as I found the contacts on my starter motor drenched with oil. Occasionaly when starting it was as if the bendix was not spinning fast enough - as in low battery power or loose battery connection.

Is there any other contamination I should be worried about?

rgrds,

Will F

THanks Gromit. I have since pick up a few threads complaining of oil filters with a new o-ring material that tend to work loose. Word out is that Nytrile rubber was not used for the manufacture of the filter seal, this will cause a shrinking of the seal after a number of heat cycles.

Wonder if anyone else has come accross this?

rgrds,

Will F