Last classic

Scruffyhippo

It's a Gaydon. AFAIK the Range Rover Classic as it was badged (unlike the 1970-1994 RR which has become known as the "classic") now know as the soft-dash, was made for 10 months alonside the P38. They were mostly L and M reg.

They have a dash/console very like the 300 Disco with air bags, a heater that works, softer seats, bonded windscreen, variable power steering IIRC and over-riders with crush can and jacking points in them.

The doors supposedly have better side-impact strength, the winder mechanisms are different (not as good) and all the switchgear was updated for the better. The steering column is adjustable and the pedal box redesigned. The seat belts are different and don't clip out.

The radios were better and had the aerial in the rear quarter glass (both sides on USA and Japan only). there were new trim colours and the "RANGE ROVER" badges on the bonnet and boot are 3-D lke the P38.

The engines were the "interim" V8, built to the old 3.9/4.2 spec but using the newer ("gemini" IIRC) block from the 4.0/4.6 P38 and with a serpentine auxiliary belt, crank driven oil pump but retaining the mechanical distributor. The block can be machined for cross-bolting but had the smaller main bearings of the 3.9. The ECU was moved into the dash.

The LSE came standard with a new version of the brooklands body kit, it had a deeper front bumper to cover the over-riders and a chrome trim, the "cyclone" alloys were unique to the LSE but the 4.2 could be ordered in a 100" Autobiography.

The axles were 24 spline with rubber doughnut on the rear prop, the handbrake should be direct entry cable but often isn't

the headlights were new Wipac Quadoptic with plastic reflectors, there was even a new dog guard mounted in the roof!

These command a premium over "hard dash" RRC. Unfortuately they seem to suffer rust worse than 1990/91 RRC because, I'm told, of cheaper steel employed by LR so good ones are hard to find. It took a year ot find mine and that was before the scrappage scheme :huh:

Mine seems to be rusting about the same as any other RRC, and the elements haven't been very nice on it.

It's basically a D1 with a proper body on it.

Apart from the V8, it also came with the 300TDi.

IIRC they were made until early '96. I know a guy that has one of those. Mine's early '95.

The winder mechanisms are indeed not that good, although the replacement parts do seem a lot better.

AFAIK the Range Rover Classic as it was badged (unlike the 1970-1994 RR which has become known as the "classic") now know as the soft-dash, was made for 10 months alonside the P38. They were mostly L and M reg.

We have a couple of N plated ones near me...

RC. Unfortuately they seem to suffer rust worse than 1990/91 RRC because, I'm told, of cheaper steel employed by LR so good ones are hard to find. It took a year ot find mine and that was before the scrappage scheme :huh:

This may induce howls of rage from some owners :( but it's my overiding impression that the later the production year of a RRC the worse the corrosion seems to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone noticed it's not just cheap steel but a bit harder to weld to? or is that just me. I don't think it's thinner because if anything RRC got heavier as the years rolled on.

Some panels definitely are thinner - the bonnet is made from noticeably thinner steel and so rusts through even faster than the earlier ones. If you have to replace it it's worth getting an older bonnet (you'll either have to give up the heater washer jets or modify the mounting holes as the old jets are a different shape).

Tis a shame they rotted so much.I saw the big Yin on the telly last night doing a world tour of Scotland in an L reg classic.Reminded me that the classic was the right vehicle in every way,the 93 Vogue SE I had was SUCH a nice place to be,comfy,stylish and so capable - it could do anything well.The P38 and L322 have just missed the point and the Sport is just pikey.

We've got 3 classics in the family and they are really nice cars but they are challanging to keep the tinworm at bay. The TDi has been off the orad for a year now and I'm still short of a couple of bits,

When it's done it will be like new, but at just over half the age of our oldest RRC it's really not stood up very well.

I remember seeing that series and IIRC Jack Nicholson droveone in a film, though the USA version didn't get the bodykit.

I spent a year looking for my LSE, we bought he TDi when I'd given up hope of finding one that wasn't rotten before someone else snapped it up. If the softie was only made for 10 months, 4,000ish being LSEs then there can't be many left on either side of the pond. Not sure how many short wheelbase softies were made though.

Anyone think it is rather telling that the SAS still wanted classics in 1996 rather than the P38?

Even the side glass thickness was reduced by 1mm in '89 to counter claims that the lift-motors were too slow, or so I've heard <_< My '87 Vogue is corrosion free but that's probably because it was always kept under cover before I bought it two years ago. I'm not able to garage the car so I compromise by using an outdoor 'cap' cover that comes down to the door handles at the sides & below the bottom of the front/rear screens. That way all the rubber seals (inc. the sun-roof) are protected from the weather all year round, bit of a bind to fit/uncover but as I don't use the car daily it's worth the effort. Coupled with a Waxoyl treatment earlier this year I feel I'm doing my bit to preserve the old dutchess.