Sankey trailer

Scruffyhippo

• 2 weeks later...

Just to put a caveat on that - a Dixon Bate 5 tonne pin hitch will work happily with a NATO eye - however as the pin hitch is fixed it can only be used with a rotating trailer eye as fitted on the narrow track Sankey type trailers.

The later wide track trailers have a fixed hitch and therefore can only be used with a vehicle fitted with a rotating hitch (ie an unlocked NATO hitch).

Matt

The eye of the NATO hitch is too big to work safely with a pin unless that pin is big enough to almost fillthe eye, like the pintle/NATO hitch does.

IIRC there is an incompatibilty with europena and british pin hitches too, something to do with tapers and clearences, britch pin hitches brake on the nose of the eye whereas europena hitches brake on the pin, something like that.

Given the low cost of S/H NATO hitchs I wouldn't chance it.

The eye of the NATO hitch is too big to work safely with a pin unless that pin is big enough to almost fillthe eye, like the pintle/NATO hitch does.

Which is why I specifically stated that the Dixon Bate 5 Tonne pin hitch is the only type that is designed to work with a NATO ring... :rolleyes:

As long as the trailer has a rotating towing eye, a DB 5 tonne pin can be used (as confirmed by Dixon Bate themselves) Dixon Bate

If the trailer does not have a rotating eye, then an unlocked NATO hitch MUST be used.

Matt

• 4 months later...

Hmmm, that goes against the advice I was given. If the pin is too small there is a significant risk of the coupling binding when turning a corner.

But as they designed both systems and are highly respected in the industry I'd have to say fair enough.

The DB 5 Tonne pin hitch is larger than the 3.5 pin - the latter can't be used with a NATO towing eye as the pin is too small. The 5 Tonne not only fits but is designed to work with a NATO eye (as long as the eye can rotate). I've used both the DB pin hitch and a NATO hitch to tow my various ex mil trailers over the years and can vouch for their suitability.

Matt