200tdi lift pump

PeterW

Evening all

I've got a problem with my 200tdi that seems like it's misfiring and I'm narrowing it down to a fueling issue. The injectors have been swapped for a newer set but the problem still occurs at high revs.

I rebuilt most of the engine before fitting it but I'm now wondering if it's fuel starvation at top revs a it idles and runs perfect to about 3000rpm.

Question is, when the lift pump is fitted to the engine, does it have a spacer plate or not...? I'm just wondering if the spacer is stopping the full travel on the lift pump and before I take it out I thought I would ask !!

Or am I barking up the wrong tree....?

Cheers

Pete

Cheers Western, as usual a perfect answer !!

This is a top view of what I have, which makes me think a spacer is not required !!

fp200tdi.jpg?t=1284845013

With the spacer in place, am I correct in thinking that the lift pump won't be operating at full range so I will be getting fuel starvation ??

Cheers

Peter

Yep. you are correct. You dont need the spacer and so the pump is probably not operating as the arm is not engaging on the cam. For some reason, land rover supply the spacer with any lift pump they sell as far as i can make out.

Methinks that is coming out tomorrow then !!

I remember it being in the box, but it was 3 weeks between stripdown and rebuild and the old ones went in the bin !!

Its got all the hallmarks of fuel starvation so hopefully this will sort it.

Cheers

Pete

I have the same problem with my 200tdi. It runs perfectly up to about 1500 - 200 rpm, but it will not rev further than that. I have replaced the lift pump twice, all fuel lines, filter etc. I have put a direct diesel feed from a container through an electric fuel pump straigt to the injection pump but the problem remains the same.

I have already bought another injection pump, because I have no clue anymore. But haven't had time to fit that, so the 200tdi has been sitting in the garage for 1,5 years now :-(

So please keep us informed, because I'm very interested in a simple solution. :-)

I have the same problem with my 200tdi. It runs perfectly up to about 1500 - 200 rpm, but it will not rev further than that. I have replaced the lift pump twice, all fuel lines, filter etc. I have put a direct diesel feed from a container through an electric fuel pump straigt to the injection pump but the problem remains the same.

I have already bought another injection pump, because I have no clue anymore. But haven't had time to fit that, so the 200tdi has been sitting in the garage for 1,5 years now :-(

So please keep us informed, because I'm very interested in a simple solution. :-)

Right.....

Quick job to replace the lift pump without the spacer, and runs much better !

But.... I've still got the judder/misfire/lumpy running at full revs, and I'm sure this is when its just before the limiter on the injection pump so I assume it must be something to do with the injection pump.

I'm inclined to try another injection pump, but I can't face the hassle of removing the old one either !

Any other ideas anyone...?

Cheers

Pete

Boost diaphragm maybe? Is the timing spot on?

Boost diaphragm would indicate I have a turbo, which I don't... Timing is spot on, or as close as you can get with a Zeus timing set... :ph34r:

This is a 200Di installation, with the turbo currently lounging on the floor in the garage !!

@ Les - lift pump is definitely ok, as I checked it as you suggested a while back, not realising I had the optional spacer installed !

All seems to point to the injection pump itself, which I may change as it has the leaky spindle issue anyway.

Cheers

Pete

Boost diaphragm would indicate I have a turbo, which I don't...

This is a 200Di installation, with the turbo currently lounging on the floor in the garage !!

I wonder if this points to the problem....Not sure, but would you get fuel starvation on this engine at high revs since the boost diaphragm isnt being pushed down by boost from the turbo? The diaphragm is still there in the top of the pump on this conversion isnt it? Perhaps set the smoke screw down a little anyhow?

• 1 year later...

I wonder if this points to the problem....Not sure, but would you get fuel starvation on this engine at high revs since the boost diaphragm isnt being pushed down by boost from the turbo? The diaphragm is still there in the top of the pump on this conversion isnt it? Perhaps set the smoke screw down a little anyhow?

No Boost pressure.... No extra fuel required....

If the timings a tad out as suggested it could well be causing the problem... Running it on Veg oil as well will cause this sometimes.

Right.....

Quick job to replace the lift pump without the spacer, and runs much better !

But.... I've still got the judder/misfire/lumpy running at full revs, and I'm sure this is when its just before the limiter on the injection pump so I assume it must be something to do with the injection pump.

I'm inclined to try another injection pump, but I can't face the hassle of removing the old one either !

Any other ideas anyone...?

Cheers

Pete

Hi

I think it's well worth you both checking carefully that you have the correct banjo bolts fitted to the feed and return pipes on the Injection pump. I know it sounds a bit daft but I have known it cause exatly the fault described, as the hole in the return banjo bolt is smaller than the feed hence fuel starvation at mid to high revs.

HTH