Defender under attack from Spiders

Part1cle

Don't take this too seriously, but;

Our 90 lives on the drive with our Disco, both are metallic dark green, and our Rover 200. For some reason the 90 attracts spiders like bees to a honeypot, and while the odd one or two sets up home on the Disco and the 200, I've counted over half a dozen on one side of the 90!

If it dosen't get used for a day or two the little bu99ers start to take over the inside too :o

There seems no logic to the types of spiders, big ones, little ones, all sorts...

When it was serviced the other day they even commented about the number of spiders on and in the car!

Anyone else noticed this and found a way to keep 'em at bay? I don't want to kill them, but wish they would leave the 90 alone :angry:

Have you never heard of Landrover Spider? And no, I don't mean the alarm, immobiliser system in later Defenders.

All Landrovers have been fitted with at least one, right back since 1948. Mine has reproduced many times since my Landy was built, I must be on fourth or fifth generation families of Landrover Spider by now.

They are really quite an important accessory, since their webs they spend countless hours weaving are the only reason there are so many Landrovers still on the road, many would have otherwise fallen apart many years ago.

If you love your Landy, :wub: make sure you look after its spider, feed it regularly, and keep it as warm as you can. A Landrover is a very harsh environment to live in for spiders, which goes to show they really are quite dedicated creatures.

Haha, I've actually had numerous spiders in my landies as well. Although I have discovered what they really like and what they don't like so much. In defenders there will be a few around the headlining but on series 2' and 3's there's like BILLION in the headlining! They absolutely love the isolating used on these. BUT on my series 1 with no roof or dash-plastic, not even a front windshield, there's no spiders to be found :D So strip to bare metal and you'll have less spiders :P

Brilliant!

Excuse me while I just wipe my cider off the monitor....

I shall treasure the little fella's from now on - so it's a 4x4 with lots of 8x8's I guess :P

Philip, I've not tried Cedar wood, but someone also mentioned ripe conkers but I think they might have been horseing around.

Cheers, Henry.

somewhere on this forum is a thread about LRS [LandRoverSpiders] fitted at the factory :lol:

found it here

Ralph, missed the link when I scanned down first time. Just got back from reading it, the sandbag shouted up to see if I was ok.....

I'll borrow the barcode reader from work tomorrow to check mine are all OE LRS's.

PS I'd love to see a LRS sticker, any piccies?

H

landrover spiders are a built in health check system.

When they dissappear you need to seriously look at the safety of your vehicle - otherwise they wouldnt have abandoned it!

mine tends to live on the sun visors and at the back of the roof lining where it meets the back door. When they get big enough to make me go "waaaooo, eeeeaaarrrrrrrrrrr" they get moved to the bushes in my garden. Somehow a replacement (possibly next generation) takes over the sunvisor position and all is well again.

DO NOT KILL THEM, or your truck will instantly break down. :ph34r:

and they dont appreciate being flicked out of the window at high speed either when they drop down in front of your face whilst doing 70mph on the motorway. It doesnt matter if you almost crash from the shock, they are sensitive creatures and it just wanted to share in the joy of driving a landie.

Bit of an antique now.

post-2-087143500 1284964662_thumb.jpg

I also have Naughty 30 stickers and the more recent Scrapiron ones.

Les.

Happy days indeed Les :D My Land Rover Spider badge has completely faded to nothing on the 110 :( I looked a few days ago because I spotted that LRS badge on someone elses website.

Will :)

My previous 110 had a spider that lived in the rear brownchurch ladder.

The ladder had drain holes that I assume he used to scurry into when the truck got up to its maximum speed of 62mph, as he was there for years. If I was stopped for more than a few hours, a web would appear between the 2nd and 3rd rung without fail.

Alas, I can only assume that he was killed when the ladder was pushed into the fuel tank by an Astra.

My new 110 has an inside spider that lives in one of the screen vents. I've no idea what he lives on, but he's been there for a few weeks now. I do get a fright sometimes when he rappels down from the visor, but not as much as when a very large bumble bee rumbled out of the screen vents one day and clocked me between the eyes, while I was overtaking an artic on the motor way :unsure::D

Happy days indeed Les :D My Land Rover Spider badge has completely faded to nothing on the 110 :( I looked a few days ago because I spotted that LRS badge on someone elses website.

Will :)

That reminds me I found my original one the other day Will, and it's still in good nick. Must fit it in the new 90 :P