Broken Track Rod End??

cjmt

Hi All,

I'm slowly attempting to rectify all of the mechanical and rust related faults on my 300 Discovery prior to its Nov MOT. In large part the front axles need rebuilding, calipers, discs and swivel seal/ball on both sides. I have progressed slowly but nevertheless have progressed, largely due to the very good technical archive on here. The major lesson I have learned so far is, buy new nuts and bolts, after 14 years the originals snap or round of rather well.

My (rather stupid) question is, should the stud in a track rod end turn round as its nut is tightened? I am finishing off the pasenger side axle and the last bolt I have to do up is this one. I imagine it shouldnt and somthing has given way when the joint was separated as none of the other ball joints I have looked at do so. However as a newbie I thought I needed to ask before buying a new one!

Many thanks for any help,

Charlie

Many thanks Les, I'll give it another try then.

As an aside, many thanks for your excellent how-to guides, thy've been invaualble and helped me (I think successfully) do jobs I otherwise wouldnt have attempted.

Charlie

They sometimes turn when you try to do the nut up (I take it you are referring to the 19mm nyloc nut that secures the track rod end to the hub). You need to exert pressure on the track rod end to keep it still while you do the nut up.

Les.

Try putting the jack under the teack rod end to nip it up a bit. By their nature ball joints should be able to spin indefinitley it;s just that when new they are usually tight enough to fasten a nyloc onto and once tight the tapered shaft jams up enough to undo them again.

You wouldn't be the first guy to spend agaes watching the thing spin annoyingly and you won't be the last.