TD5 Keyfob issue

How did it stop working?

It was taking ages to arm and unarm the alarm which is normally a battery issue, so I replaced the battery away from the truck..

Brought it back to the truck to open and it wouldnt work full stop, no flashing lights, no imobilisation... Nada!!!

Yes, I now realise this wasnt the smartest thing to do!!! :(

My link

Assuming you have the same fob as me, lucas 17TN, you need to follow the instructions in point 6 of the first section of the link. Standing near the vehicle, keep pressing the lock button until the indicators flash, then press the unlock button once. Should then work, well did when i changed the batts in my fob.

If you've already done this then i've no idea, sorry

HTH

Simon

Next time you do change the fob, follow the correct procedure and you shouldn't have any issues...

You can find the correct procedure here:

"You'll need:

A CR2032 button battery, LR recommend Panasonic.

A small screwdriver to separate the two sides of the fob.

Your Land Rover!

> Sit in the drivers seat with the drivers door closed. Keep it closed for the duration of the battery replacement*.

> Turn the ignition to position II, return to position 0 and remove the key.

> Gently split the key fob casing into its two parts, taking care not to damage the rubber seal.

> Slide the old battery out of the clip, avoid touching the circuit board or other components.

> Insert new battery. Don't leave any finger prints on it which can cause premature discharge.

> Push the two halves of the fob back together.

> Operate the key fob at least 4 times to re-synchronise it with the car. It should lock/unlock.

> Turn the ignition back to position II and check it will start.

*The immobiliser has a passive re-arm function which activates within 30 seconds if the drivers door is opened. If you don't open the driver's door this period is extended to 5 minutes.

If you only have one fob and the immobiliser re-arms during the battery change you have to go through the re-synchronisation, which involves turning the key in the ignition numerous times and opening/closing the drivers door repeatedly."

Taken off the internet

For now you will have to try the above, although I believe there is a resyncronisation procedure you can use if that doesn't work. What that is and where to find it I don't know - but a quick call to a LR garage may help.

• Like 1

My link

Assuming you have the same fob as me, lucas 17TN

Thanks Simon, actually mine is the 3TXB fob, but I think they are more or less the same. I tried the procedure you suggested, but its still not communicating :(

If you only have one fob and the immobiliser re-arms during the battery change you have to go through the re-synchronisation, which involves turning the key in the ignition numerous times and opening/closing the drivers door repeatedly."

For now you will have to try the above, although I believe there is a resyncronisation procedure you can use if that doesn't work. What that is and where to find it I don't know - but a quick call to a LR garage may help.

Hey Ozzie,

I rang the dealers and was able to get the 4 digit EKA code for my Defender, this allows me to bypass the immobiliser using the method above and start the vehicle, but the fob still wont work! Im going to ring the dealers again next week and see if there is a re-sync process I can use...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to try resynching the fob to the alarm ECU via Rovacom / Nanocom or equivalent as its costly elsewhere...

Thanks for your help :)