Lifting a discovery

whiteboy

Ok well i have done a search but cannot find any solid information about liffting a discovery 2". Everything i have read suggest different things ie castor correction longer brake hosses etc. What i would like to know is can i lift my discovery with pro comp 2" lif kit (springs and dampners) without any other modifications or will it cause damage? Reason for lifting is to fit bigger wheels on (Anacondas 285/75/16) does this involve a lot of cutting of the arch? Is that an easy job?

Thanks

If they are 285s then you will be expecting to chop bits from the arches.

As for the lift you will need longer brake hoses to guarantee you don't rip them off. Some people don't bother changing the brake lines but IMO it's silly not too. Otherwise you should be fine, you might want to add some dislocation cones too to catch the springs as it's pritty tiresome having to jack it up to put a spring back in.

Dave.

Sounds good. I'm new to discoverys so can anyone point me in the rite direction to get the lift kit, cones and brake lines? Is the lift kit straight forward to fit? Is there any guides on chopping the arches? Will I need cones front and rear?

Many thanks

Lots of options

Gwyn Lewis

Devon 4x4

Qt services

Cones front and rear if you intend to do a fair bit off road

Search "Camel Cut" for chopping the body... careful on the search as it can bring up some graphic images nothing to do with cutting the Disco!!!!

Try and get the correct springs for the weight of the vehicle and weight of accessories you intend to fit as many off the shelf lift kits just supply any old springs which quite often end up being too hard or too soft. Terrafirrmas springs seem to get good reviews from many on the forum.

Dave.

I belive a 285/75/16 is roughly a 33/10.5/16 so you will need a bit more than a camel cut. For that you will need flexi arches. I would suggest you fit the lift kit then see how the steering is i.e does it self centre some trucks can get away without caster arms. personaly i wouldnt fit pro comps just had one of mine let go but it has been on 2 1/2 years but i always thought they where a bit bouncy on the road just ordered some terrafima's.Hope this helps a little

Ok i only plan on doing occasional (couple times a week) off roading. problem is the disco is my daily. Will i be able to get away with 285/75/16 tyres with the body modifications without lifting the vehicle? As i will be gaining extra ground clearance with the bigger wheels will i really need a lift kit? Is it possible just to fit longer spring or spacers on stock? Sorry for what sounds like simple questions but really am new to this.

Thanks

If they are 285s then you will be expecting to chop bits from the arches.

As for the lift you will need longer brake hoses to guarantee you don't rip them off. Some people don't bother changing the brake lines but IMO it's silly not too. Otherwise you should be fine, you might want to add some dislocation cones too to catch the springs as it's pritty tiresome having to jack it up to put a spring back in.

Dave.

Or you can jubilee clip the spring to the top mount - triallers been doing this for 20years plus....

Most disclocation cones make an awful racket off road as they "work" - your choice...

Personally I wouldn't bother with those big wheels - you'll put more strain on wheel bearing, steering and drive train.

Ok i only plan on doing occasional (couple times a week) off roading. problem is the disco is my daily. Will i be able to get away with 285/75/16 tyres with the body modifications without lifting the vehicle? As i will be gaining extra ground clearance with the bigger wheels will i really need a lift kit? Is it possible just to fit longer spring or spacers on stock? Sorry for what sounds like simple questions but really am new to this.

Thanks

Im pritty sure if you want those size tyres you will have to lift the vehicle as disco arches are quite small. The other option is some smaller tyres but even with 235-85s your going to need to start chopping.

Dave.

'lifting' your disco wont affect body clearance when you are offroad and therefore you will still have body clearance issues.

what you need to do is either hack the bodywork away to prevent rubbing or limit the upward travel of the axle so they dont hit the bodywork using extended bumpstops, or do a 'body lift' which is putting spacers between the body and chassis.

if its just a spring lift, you will still more than likely be able to compress the axle up to the bumpstops and therefore the 'at rest' lift you have fitted will mean nothing, as the axle will still be up against the bumpstop on a big crossaxle.

Personally i;m a big fan of virtual lifts - eg hacking teh bodywork. this keeps all your suspension and travel standard, keeps your centre of gravity low and leaves your road handling and steering unaffected.