90 Brake problems

Wes

Hi all I need some ideas. I have a 1986 petrol 90 that I fitted with a new Galvo chassis just over a year ago. At the time all new suspension was fitted, all bushes, rubbers track rod ends, ball joints, rubbers and swivels and housings also renewed. Only things re used were the brake discs and calipers. It was also fitted with a Disco rear axle. Passed first MOT with no problems. Failed second MOT on brake problem. veers to the right under heavy braking. Braking fine on rolling road and normal driving. Since then have renewed front discs calipers pads and hoses but stil have same problem. All fixings have been checked and are ok. Suspension is good. Local garage can not find reason and suggested a full chassis geometory check.(Expensive) Fortunately my MOT man is not charging me for each retest. (Yet) Thanks if you have read through all this. All ideas gratefully received. Wes. PS. All new parts fitted were good quality or original manufacturer.

If the whole brakind system is now new and you still have the problem, then I would look at radius arms/bushes/chassis brackets. Measure the distance from the centre of the front wheel to the centre of the rear wheel on either side and see if there's a difference. Panhard rod can cause this, but usually causes steering wander if there's a problem with it.

Les.

If the whole brakind system is now new and you still have the problem, then I would look at radius arms/bushes/chassis brackets. Measure the distance from the centre of the front wheel to the centre of the rear wheel on either side and see if there's a difference. Panhard rod can cause this, but usually causes steering wander if there's a problem with it.

Les.

Hi Les. Thanks for your reply. I did a wheel to wheel measurement and there appeared to be a 4mm difference but that may have been because the front wheels were not 100 per cent straight. I am putting it up on stands today to get a proper look at it. Wes

My money says that it's the Panhard rod bushes, if you fitted Britpart metalastic bushes, they'll be knackered within a couple of weeks (i fitted some, they lasted 2 days!)

you can however do a geometric check on the vehicle, with a couple of good friends, a long piece of string, a few sticks of chalk, good tape measure and a plumb-bob.

Get the vehicle onto some smooth surface, with the wheels in line. place the string against the outside edges of the tyres (both sides) to confirm.

now with the plumb-bob, let it hang straight down from the centre of each wheel, and mark the spot on the ground with a cross.

now *Chalk the string* ie run the string through the chalk so that it gets covered in chalk.

With 1 person holding the string dead on the centre of the cross on the N/S, another carefully put it to the centre of the cross on the O/S keeping it tight all the time.

Whilst they're holding it down tight, get hold of the string in the middle, lift it a few inches and let go, this should now put a nice straight chalk line on the floor (you may have to *twang it* a couple of times.)

Do the same at the back axle.

Measure along the lines between the 2 crosses, and mark exactly the centre points. *Twang* a line between these 2 centre points. (You should have a flat "H" set of lines.

Twang 2 more lines diagonally from corner to corner, ie N/S rear to front O/S and O/S rear to front N/S. Where these lines cross, if perfect, should be in the centre of the H, I would suggest that it won't be perfect, maybe up to 20mm should be OK, but it will tell you how far it's out.

hope you understood that!

Hi Biffo. Thanks for that. I have been doing some measurements but not as detailed as yours. Will do that today. All bushes were replaced at rebuild and were either either genuine Land rover replacement or OEM. All were purchased at Bearmach so should be good quality but you never know. Will check the rod bushes again today. Thanks again. Wes

Hi all again. Have tried all the things suggested and taken many measurements and can still not find anything wrong. However I decided to change the power steering resovoir which had been seeping around the lid for some time. When taking it out for a test run the pulling to the right under heavy braking seems to have stopped. Is this coincidence or what? Wes

hi Wes,

i'd re-check your swivel pre loads and wheel bearings, i've had a simular problem on my own truck, running larger tyres emphasised the problem more so, for true wheel cross alignment go to your local independant garage and ask them to check it for you, the garage i use have a laser alignment set up and only charge £35 a time, good for piece of mind,

hope this is of some help,

Bow..

a long shot is a possible problem with the track rod ends, either on the track rod, or drag link, especially if you've recently had the tracking checked.What i'm getting at, is just check that there is "swivel" on the rods when on both locks. If one track rod end is forward, and the other backwards facing, then it can give problems. as i said, it's a long shot be easy to check.