FREELANDER TYRES

callan-m

HI CAN ANYBODY TELL ME THE BIGGEST TYRES THAT WILL FIT ON STANDARD FREELANDER ALLOY WHEEL RIMS 16",AT THE MOMENT IT IS ON 215 x 65 x 16, AND THEY LOOK SMALL,SAY FOR EXAMPLE- WOULD 235 x 70 x 16" FIT ON THESE RIMS AND WOULD THERE BE ENOUGH CLEARENCE ON THE CAR FOR THEM.ANY ADVICE WELCOME.THANK YOU.CALLAN

Most people who desire to take a Freelander off road will want to change the tyres, the Freelanders with 16” wheels have an advantage here, as there are several options.

Stock form, a Freelander can squeeze a 225/75-16 although it may rub if heavily laden with cargo or rear seat passengers.

A 225/70 is a safer bet if you often have rear seat passengers. In lifted form, the 225/75-16 is common and won’t rub.

With the combination two-inch lift and 225/75 tyres, the Freelander will sport eleven inches of clearance underneath!

If you have 17” wheels, you can either seek out some 16” or you are limited terribly in tyre options.

HI CAN ANYBODY TELL ME THE BIGGEST TYRES THAT WILL FIT ON STANDARD FREELANDER ALLOY WHEEL RIMS 16",AT THE MOMENT IT IS ON 215 x 65 x 16, AND THEY LOOK SMALL,SAY FOR EXAMPLE- WOULD 235 x 70 x 16" FIT ON THESE RIMS AND WOULD THERE BE ENOUGH CLEARENCE ON THE CAR FOR THEM.ANY ADVICE WELCOME.THANK YOU.CALLAN

By 'biggest' do you mean widest or tallest or a combination?

as an alternative to the other suggestions, 205/80/16 will fit and look a lot meatier. My misssus has Toyo Open Country M&S on her freebie, in case she encounters some muddy puddles. They also have the advantage of making it almost impossible for her to kerb the alloys :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but rather than start a new one for a similar topic...

Does anyone have experience of using 215/65 16 General Grabber AT2's? These are the standard 16 inch wheel tyre size, so should be no problems there, but what about wear rate, noise, on/off road performance etc? I want to replace my Michelin Synchrones with a set of these, but before I spend the best part of 400 quid I thought I'd just ask for some opinions as the Michelins have been brilliant, but are no longer available. Apparently the AT2's will be superseded next year by a new tyre as well, but I like the look of them and fancy a change to a more aggressive tread pattern :) .

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I've got 215/75 15 AT2's on mine and they're excellent (they're also fitted to my wifes' DII). Wear rate so far seems very good - about 8k miles on mine so far and around 20k on the DII with neither showing appreciable wear.

Noise is acceptable - they're obviously not going to be the same as road bias tyres, but apart from a very distinctive hum at about 30mph, they're very good.

Off-road on both vehicles they perform very well. IME there's very little differnce between them and BFG AT's in mud and they were really good in the snow earlier in the year.

For years I'd been a big fan of BFG tyres but I'm very pleased with the AT2's and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Hope this helps.

(Gratuituos pic just to show the tyres off :) )

post-1323-015789400 1287596743_thumb.jpg