reducing emissions on 200tdi disco 1

TravelTed

My 1993 disco 1 has just been to that "nice place where cars have to go once a year" and has come back as a failure. well the emissions have at least, any tip to reduce the emissions down from 5.9 to the limit of 3 that the nice man at the testing station told me it should be.

any tips woyld be welcomed, also SWMBO as stressed that the purse strings are definately tied on this, due to a four day working week and a very tight budget.

Other than mechanical problems, there are a few things that can knock the emissions right down.

Take the truck for a drive about 45-minutes before the test and nail the throttle for long periods of time in order to blow the engine out and get it really hot.

Replace/remove air filter (minimal effect)

Change engine oil (maybe put something thicker in)

Injector cleaner.

Piston seal

Cooking oil in the tank (preferably old stuff that has been heated a few times too many or rapeseed)

EGR/clean intercooler/inlet manifold (marmite)

On a slightly crooked note -

Put some slack in the throttle adjustment so that the engine cannot rev to the limit by use of the accelerator pedal.

Stop round the corner from the MOT station, stuff some wire wool up the exhaust and continue :unsure:

Les :)

years ago at a factory I worked at the lorry driver complained his ford cargo was sluggish after its mot, turns out one of the fitters had stuck a piece of wood under the carpet in line with the throttle pedal before it went for mot,

I thought replacing a dirty air filter with a clean one would make a huge difference on diesel emissions?

An 'italian' tune up as Les suggests works wonders.

Stick a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank (don't bother with the recommended dose, stick it all in) and rag the nuts off it for a bit. Find some hills and go up them bouncing on the limiter.

Should give it a nice clean out.

(Of course, do make sure that your engine is in good mechanical condition before doing the above!)

I did most of the above before my 200tdi defenders last mot and the guy said it was the lowest reading he'd even seen from an H reg defender. I dumped a whole bottle of redex in the tank and ragged it up the dual carriage way in 3/4th gear. If it sounds like its going to blow up then you're probably nearly revving it enough :ph34r:

I have to agree with most of the posts here, Where you need to put in a bottle or 2 of injector cleaner in the tank and take the vehicle for a hard run.

If you want to go a step further with brute force,,, take off the fuel filter and replace with a new one but before fitting this, fill up the filter with a good quality injector cleaner.

Regards Phil.....

Slick fifty diesel injector cleaner - about ten quid from Halfords Spray the whole can straight into the turbo and stand back in amazement as the innards of your engine exit out of the exhaust! Seriously though it works.

Also you could turn down the fuelling screw on the back of the pump so the car has just about enough guts to get it to the test station, will pass then you can wind it right back up when you get home (not that i have ever done such things) :ph34r:

Steve

Hi to all who gave advice, once again the forum has helped the needy! thanks a whole lot we now have an MOT certificate and a disco that does not black out Newark any more. Ended up adding anti smoke to fuel, injector cleaner to fuel removing air filter and winding out pump screw by about 2.5 turns, has not affected power too much and keeps SWMBO happy.