mysterious dash light

nakedrunner

Hi, my first post, I'm sure, of many. In getting my series 2 ready for MOT I get a red light (bottom left of dash) on when engine gets warm. What does this mean? Also some mild steam from the old heater. Somebody suggested by passing the heater hose but I will need a heater eventually. Are the two issues linked? Otherwise the engine (2.25 petrol) runs well. Cheers folks

The light comes on when the engine is warm and the choke is out. There is a temperature switch near the thermostat and another switch on the choke knob, or maybe in the choke cable.

Ignition power is connected to the bulb, then to the choke switch and then to earth via the temperature switch.

With regard to the first query, the red light in the bottom left hand corner could be oil warning light (so check oil) if I remember correctly the centre light is charge, and the orange light in the bottom right hand corner should be your choke light.

The 'steam' from the heater could be just dust getting hot or you have a problem with your heater i.e. broken fins/pipe.

Claytons do a very good heater for a few hundred or you could always try a certain internet auction site.

With regard to the first query, the red light in the bottom left hand corner could be oil warning light (so check oil) if I remember correctly the centre light is charge, and the orange light in the bottom right hand corner should be your choke light.

The 'steam' from the heater could be just dust getting hot or you have a problem with your heater i.e. broken fins/pipe.

Claytons do a very good heater for a few hundred or you could always try a certain internet auction site.

oil warning light is green

choke light is orange

red is charge light

all on my 64 2a that is