Snorkel Width

mad_pete

How wide is wide enough ? Snorkels seem to come in 2.5 , 3.0, 3.5 and Nigel massive.

I have a 2.5" Southdowns snorkel but now I've up'd from a 3.5 to a 4.2 is that enough ? The manifold aperture is 70mm but throttle response seems slower with the snorkel connected. Is it going to be worth upping the diameter from the air filter to top to 3" ?

When Sir Les of Hensonshire made mine, I decided not to go any smaller than the plenum inlet....

With bends / obstructions you ought to consider a slighty larger inner dimension. I decided similar to the plenum was good for me as I rarely run for any length of time at hi revs /WOT when most air will be needed...

If you feel you engine is restricted, got up to 3 inches and see if you can feel the difference.. (oooerr Missus..!!)

Neil

Yes 3" will improve things.

When I did mine speaking to JED for something as long as a snaorkel for bigger bore engines

he didn'tr recomend them, if you "Have to have one" circa 80-95mm :blink:

Hence mine :P

As and when the 5.2 gets in there, I will prob run with snorkel disconnected

and them just pop a pipe on when required

Nige