Putting a Tyre back on its rim.....the lighter fluid way

tweetyduck

Well, today i went to the sister-in-laws to pic up a trailer she'd borrowed and deliver it back to its rightful owner, except the tyre was flat. After pumping fruitlessly for 5 minutes with a bike pump i realised the tyre was tubeless.:hysterical:

Remembering a Top Gear episode in Iceland where they used lighter fluid/butane to re-seat the large off road tyre i decided it might be worth a go. Armed with a can of butane lighter fluid and a lighter I duly filled it with enough butane to power a garden heater for an hour. At arms length I lit the lot and all I got was a burnt finger and a large tyre fire which eventually burnt its self out. Bugger.:excl:

So after a second attempt resulting in another fire it was off to YouTube to find out how it should be done,,, they make it look so easy. Being a semi-intelligent sole and remembering high school chemistry and Physics i thought, air + volatile fuel = explosion. Too much fuel and too little air equals combustion but nothing spectacular. After watching the videos i could see they used very little fuel in inflating some monster tyres. So i tried again with a little squirt. Would you believe it,,,,after two more attempts i had a re-seated tyre and manically pumped with a bike pump until inflated to something like enough.:rtfm:

Watching Top Gear and listening in School (plus help from YouTube) i managed to re-seat my first tyre. This might come in handy fro my trip, me thinks.

So the reason for this post is don't use to much WD40, Butane etc.....yes WD40 works according to the all knowing Internet.

So the reason for this post is don't use to much WD40, Butane etc.....yes WD40 works according to the all knowing Internet.

I wouldn't be happy putting WD40 into a tyre where the unburnt lube will sit for years, or on the bead where it will lubricate just at the point where you don't want it to - just doesn't feel right... I suspect that it would aversely affect they tyre rubber too although I don't know that..

Ive used this a number of times with deodorant. Not too much otherwise you have the wrong AFR!

Being new here and prepared to try new techniques, I've just spent 20 minutes applying a Mum roll-on to my bead and attempting to ignite it. End result- nothing apart from a pile of spent Swan Vestas. :wacko:

Being new here and prepared to try new techniques, I've just spent 20 minutes applying a Mum roll-on to my bead and attempting to ignite it. End result- nothing apart from a pile of spent Swan Vestas. :wacko:

hysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gif

me too!

Brilliant lateral thinking :)

I did this with easy start. The only problem was I used a bit too much, so a couple of days later the valve tube parted from the rubber.

As mentioned you have to remove the valve core.

Nowadays I use a ratchet strap on my offroad wheels (280/85-16 on beadlocked Wolf rims) if the tire pops of the inner bead. I actually tried a ratchet strap on my regular wheel (255/85-16 on Wolves at that time), before blowing it on, without success.

if you do use this technique - remove the centre wotsit on the tyre valve first, cos once its lit and pops the tyre on the bead - it cools down rather quickly and contracts. This can then suck the tyre back off the bead.

rather irritating...

In fact when seating the bead with a pump it should help to remove the valve core too - it allows the air in so much faster. I did one like this the other day just by running the compressor while kicking/bouncing/pulling the tyre around and it sealed almost straight away.

Roger

p.s. Is it just me that gets a real thrill from the sharp 'peong' noise as the bead snaps out? I sends shivers up my spine. I'll get me coat...

We find using a tin of Brut deoderant best, no need to worry about mixture this stuff is so flamable it pops new shrink wrapped 35s on to beads first time every time.

Are you the one keeping Brut going then????

:P