Ekectric windows?

Shant

I would appreciate some advice please.

I have a patient, a farmer. He has about 18 months to live, but it would mean everything to him to keep working. He has a 1986 90, but he is becoming weaker by the day......but he refuses to give up work. He is safe to drive though. It would make his life easier to have electric windows. Does anyone know of a kit?

Cheers!

I would appreciate some advice please.

I have a patient, a farmer. He has about 18 months to live, but it would mean everything to him to keep working. He has a 1986 90, but he is becoming weaker by the day......but he refuses to give up work. He is safe to drive though. It would make his life easier to have electric windows. Does anyone know of a kit?

Cheers!

SPAL Automotive make retro-fit Electric Window Kits -

http://www.spalautomotive.co.uk/acatalog/spal_universal_electric_window_kits.html

STANDARD WINDOW KIT

Ref: 33000011

Price: £99.99 (Including VAT at 17.5%)

stanwinkit.jpg

DELUXE WINDOW KIT

Ref: 33000021

Price: £119.99 (Including VAT at 17.5%)

33000021.jpg

The kits don't come with switches, they have to be bought separately -

http://www.spalautomotive.co.uk/acatalog/SPAL_ELECTIC_WINDOW_SWITCHES_AND_SWITCH_KITS.html

I have tried a number of after market window kits on numerous vehicles, quite frankly they are very rarely up to the job. Best bet is to buy the electric regulator (not scarily expensive) inner door panels (ditto) and after market switches from a landrover dealer or spares place. Easy to fit as they are designed for the job and they do what they say on the tin!!

I have tried a number of after market window kits on numerous vehicles, quite frankly they are very rarely up to the job. Best bet is to buy the electric regulator (not scarily expensive) inner door panels (ditto) and after market switches from a landrover dealer or spares place. Easy to fit as they are designed for the job and they do what they say on the tin!!

Have you tried the SPAL ones listed above, I had heard SPAL had a good reputation (thinking of fitting lecky to front and back of my 110)

I must admit I haven't tried the spal set, however, all these kits seem to involve a large degree of fiddling about, they tend to say on the box that they are a dedicated kit for vehicle x, y or z but in reality seem to be a universal fit, hence the fiddling. At least with the standard LR parts they fit with a minimum of fuss. The hardest part was finding a bonding agent to fix the door glass into the regulator channel (used aqaurium sealer in the end), after that the regualtor bolts to the inner door panel, which in turn bolts to the door. Relatively short quick and simple - no buggering about with brackets to keep the motor steady or numerous wretched cogs...... Another advantage is that if something breaks you just pop down to your local dealer and the odds are you'll get the part over the counter.

buy the original bits.

i've had all these after market generic kits and like what was mentioned, they need a bit of fiddling to get them to fit rite.

after which, the door card doesn't sit properly and keeps popping out. and the cards will press against the seat box and then the card gets damaged and the door needs to be slam to get closed.

don't waste your time. the original bits are about 200 sgd and it will work just as well in fact, they pull the windows faster than a bolt on aftermarket generic kit as the number of teeth on the winder is different.

Does anyone know what parts are required to do this?

I have a pair of half decent doors i'd like to fit to my 90 for now, perhaps with a view to replacing them with nice galved steel ones at a later date, but i'd like to convert them to electric windows.

Clearly i'll need the motor assemblies themselves, but i presume i also need the inner panel thing from a electric window equipped car?

Looking at Microcat, all 2002 on defenders use the same door panel, ie theres no difference between electric and manual. Does this panel just bolt onto my older door?

If the vehicle is a 1986 model, does it have lift handle or push button doors?

The LR parts won't fit the lift handle type as the whole door fittings etc inside the trim are very different.

I made and modified my own using parts I relieved from a Vectra door. A bit of a complicated job to get the geometry right on the first one, but they work well and are certainly man enough. If the window runners are in good condition a Defender door glass isn't exactly heavy.

I bought central door locking parts from SPAL, very good quality products. I should think their window lift kit would be good too, looks a pretty slim arrangment as far as I can see.

i fitted the spal kit to my td5 90 2 years ago and they have worked perfectly all the time,a very easy fit no problems at all

I see their switches are quite expensive, especially the illuminated ones - do they give a wiring diagram with enough info to source your own? Shouldn't be too difficult to work out and switches are cheap and plentiful in scrappies.

Quite interested as SPAL are just up the road...

Cheers, H.

The wiring for electric windows isn't hard. Its the most general of cases you can use pretty much any switches you like, and a couple of relays.

If you reclaim electric window switches from the scrappy you should be able to work out the pinout from the loom in the car before you remove the switch, and/or a multimeter.