whistling turbo

bow

hi all, after sorting various problems on my 200tdi a fresh one has raised its head,

just rebuilt the top end on it after the head gasket let go, my motor runs a 300 tdi turbo, the fresh problem is under acceleration the turbo is whistling like a good un, is this a sign of imminent failure, also chucks out loads of black smoke when pushed hard,

your thoughts please gents, I'm clutching at straws here,

Bow...

the topend gasket kit has all been replaced,had to rebuild it last weekend,

have noticed a missfire at low revs, assume this to be the injectors or one of them, got a few bits to check this weekend, the engine does seem rough on tickover, so will srart with the injectors, then the pump timing, and also check the inlet side of things,

thanks folks,

if anyone else has any thoughts on what else to check please feel free to add,

Bow..

hi all, after sorting various problems on my 200tdi a fresh one has raised its head,

just rebuilt the top end on it after the head gasket let go, my motor runs a 300 tdi turbo, the fresh problem is under acceleration the turbo is whistling like a good un, is this a sign of imminent failure, also chucks out loads of black smoke when pushed hard,

your thoughts please gents, I'm clutching at straws here,

Bow...

Start with the easy bits - sometimes a whistling turbo is no more or less than a small hole in the rubber/silicon pipe after the turbo. Such a hole can be very small and will only become apparent when the pipe is under pressure. Take the pipes off and inspect them very carefully bending and stretching as you go looking for small irreuglarities in the surface area.

Next stage would be to check the turbo vane bearing and vane itself. To do this you will have to wait for the engine to cool and the take the hose off the outlet end of the turbo. The bearing there is a "floating" bearing which is kept susended by oil pressure. If the bearing is tired then there will be lots of oil around (it is normal for there to be small amounts of engine oil here). Because the bearing is a floating bearing there is a small anount of movement when you "rock" the vane (the vane is sharp so do this carefully) on it's axis/bearing. If there is too much movement there will also be too much oil and vice versa. While here check that the vane looks OK ie. that the blades are uniform - it spins at thousands of RPMs and any small nick in a blade will upset balance and make a noise.

Also check the pipe from the crank breather wotsit that goes into the inlet pipe behind the cylinder head. mine fell off the little nubbin and when it was under boost it sucked air in via that pipe instead of through the airbox and made a horrendous whistling noise.

nick

• 1 month later...

:( well folks, after an expensive couple of weeks the problem is still with me,

the engine has been replaced after No'4 piston decided to let go, intercooler has been replaced with my alisport cooler, all induction pipe work has been replaced with ally tude and new 4ply silicone hoses, and the bloody thing still whistles like a kettle under acceleration, checked my turbo, all is well, only thing i can think of now is a hairline crack in the inlet manifold, power delivery is smooth,no nasty turbo lag, no excesive smoke.

any one else had a problem like this, apart from this whistle the truck is smooth and quiet, i'm lost on where to look next, any more idea's,

ps, got loads of spares for 200tdi engines if any one needs any, this is my 4th engine, and no, i'm not a mechanical animal, just been unlucy with high mileage old engines.

thanks all,

BOW..

ok probably not this, but remove all your ancillary belts and give the engine a rev. Mine was making a bloody awful row for ages. myself and many others assumed it was turbo. The diagnosis never sat right with me as it obviously didn't sound quite right with the rise and fall of revs. Turned out to be the alternator!!!

Spinning it by hand all seemed fine, but the bearing noise always started at the same sort of rpm the turbo starts singing.

I went through 2 unknown engines, before I got fed up, killed the piggie bank and paid turners a visit. Expensive, but now very happy!! :)

easiest thing to do is to pressure test the inlet.

Make up a bung with a bit of pipe and attach it to the turbo inlet inplace of the air cleaner pipe and connect to an airline.

"inflate" the inlet tract to 15psi or so and find the leak.

If your not feeling inventive, you can buy the kits on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boost-Leak-Tester-kit-all-turbo-cars-/300484644091?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item45f647ccfb