difflock light / broken linkage

cw01

Hi,

Trying to diagnose why my warning light wouldn't come on for high/low/diff, found there was a broken linkage between the small gear lever and the transfer box.

It's an old LT77 G/box, and I dont know what type the T/box is. So can I get a new linkage, or is it one of these all in one type units that cost lots of pennies?.

I would really even appreciate a part no' or the correct name for the linkage.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi,

Trying to diagnose why my warning light wouldn't come on for high/low/diff, found there was a broken linkage between the small gear lever and the transfer box.

It's an old LT77 G/box, and I dont know what type the T/box is. So can I get a new linkage, or is it one of these all in one type units that cost lots of pennies?.

I would really even appreciate a part no' or the correct name for the linkage.

Cheers,

Chris.

Have you got a picture of the broken bits?

the diff lock has a engaged warning light, it will only light when the difflock is fully engaged, which may be a few seconds after you selected it, a pgoto of the busted part of the linkage would help, there was a fairly recent post about a similar problem, have you tried a search ?

There are a number of parts that make up the linkage between the short selector lever assembly and the diff lock mechanism in the LT230.

The pic below shows the linkage I normally see on an LT77 (there may be different types) - the diff lock linkage is at right side of pic.

There is the long lever that goes from the short selector lever on top of the gearbox to the lower level of the front drive extension of the LT230. Another short link from that lever to the short lever on the diff lock mechanism in the LT230.

The lever has pins, with plastic bushes, washers and cotters.

post-62-049773000 1285537029_thumb.jpg

Right then, a few pics to see if anyone can identify exactly what I need to buy,

DSC00073-1.jpg

Part 1+2 have sheared along the blue dots in the first pic, part 1 in the second pic is the same bit as part 1 in the first pic.

DSC00076-1.jpg

Incidently, part 3 on the first pic is some type of tube attached to a bolt, and I removed it to get access to another nut and cant tighten it up again, the bolt doesn't look broken but it is hollow?, any suggestions.

Cheers,

Chris.

Yes part 3 in the diagram that Retroanaconda posted

BTW it is the Hi/Lo selection linkage not the diff lock. The other lever/linkage is for the diff lock]

The tubing 3 in the 1st pic is the transfer case breather tube. If the bolt you couldn't get back in is the one missing from the saddle clip just near the number 3, it is there to hold the tube in position so it doesn't wear on other parts or get snagged and not too critical, if it was the banjo bolt that connects the breather to the case, then it is critical as it will allow dirt and water to contaminate the oil in the transfer case leading to wear and rust of the internals.

This connection piece is made to give if you abuse the little gear lever. they are easy enough to change if you can get at it, but on the 90 you may need to remove the floor panels etc. on my disco i finished up cutting a hole in the side of the tunnel, and making a hinged door just in case i need to change it again in the future.

Don't loose your old clip (No5) as the new ones are impossible to fit, Get new plastic washers (No2) but these are a bit of a pain the keep in whilst you put the bracket over them, I glued mine in. Be sure to sett the lever in it's correct place by adjusting how far up the shast you locate it.

Got all the new bits for under a tenner so will replace them on monday. It is the banjo bolt that wont go back in, it doesn't seem to have sheared or broken in any way, it just won't grab a thread, came out normally and easy enough?, could I just use some loctite or glue if I cant get it?. The clip/fixing strap was not attached to the box when I took it apart, should it be fixed to any specific bolt?.

Thanks again,

Chris.

I wouldn't bodge the banjo bolt for the breather - I doubt you could seal the water out.

You need to investigate the problem further - my 1st guess is the tension in the tube is preventing you from lining up the bolt square to start the thread. Check if the bolt on it's own will screw in ok.

Regarding where the C-clip goes, sorry can't help just now.