1.8 air con problem

jaysjetski

hi all. its the end of the summer and havnt needed the aircon with the opening rear window. but with the winter coming the aircon helps with the demisted the windows.

but mine doesnt work. the switch lights up but the clutch isnt engaging.

i have heard that it may be due to low pressure. i dont really want to send it in somewhere to find out that its not just low gas and a problem with the pump.

can anyone tell me how to bridge the low pressure sensor as that will force the pump to work. then i can get regassed or parts changed.

if anyone has done this or know how would be great.

thanks jason

Hi Jason...

The pressure switch is usually located on or near the drier bottle, and if you unplug the wire from the switch, just short out the 2 contacts in the plug on the wiring harness.

If for some reason the pump does not switch on you most likely still have gas pressure.

In that case unplug the single wire from the pumps clutch and run a wire from the battery Pos to the pump clutch.

If the pump still does not work the clutch is at fault.

Basically if shorting the pressure switch wires makes no difference, and the clutch does turn on with a power wire,, you will have a blown fuse or faulty thermostat circuit.

Regards Phil...

This worked for me £49 inc VAT let them do all the testing!!

Kwik Fit now offers a complete air conditioning recharge service available at centres across the UK. Operated on a drive-in basis there is usually no need for an appointment, but now you can book an appointment at your local Kwik Fit centre using our new online service here. Within an hour the whole recharge process is completed. The process can also include a system de-bug to clear bacterial build up from within the system, which will remove any unpleasant odours.

Our trained technicians will show you the difference in your Air-Con system before and after recharge. Air-Con systems not fully recharged will be less effective and have to work harder putting more strain on the engine and using more fuel. If your Air-Con system has not been recharged in 2 years it will dramatically reduce efficiency.

During the hotter summer months motorists use the Air-Con system more; however your system is also useful in winter. Air-Con systems create dry warm air rather than the normal humid air from outside and this de-mists your car windscreen more quickly.To keep your Air-Con system fully charged all year, why not call in to Kwik Fit and have your vehicle’s air conditioning system recharged with gas and lubricant today.

Recharge or No Charge

Let Kwik Fit recharge your Air Con while-u-wait. We will replace and recharge lubricant and refrigerant levels in line with your manufacturer’s recommendation. If we cannot improve the coolest vent temperature from your car by more than 10% when measured in degrees Celsius - then you pay nothing at all.*

If you have pre-paid by booking your appointment online, we will arrange for your credit or debit card to be refunded.

* Please note if the ambient temperature around the car is less than 9 degrees Celsius it may affect the results of the AirCon recharge test results. In these circumstances, it is at the managers discretion whether to offer a refund with results less than 10%.

thanks for the info phils truck will try it this week.

donald as i have written i dont want to take it some where and spend money because if its the pump not working they would say its been refilled and most likely charge me. i want to do some home testing first then get refilled as needed.

thanks again

thanks phils truck. just been outside, i have a 1999 k series. removed the low pressure plug. had 4 wires. found that the grey/pink wire and blue/green wires were the ones needed. hooked them together and as hoped the pumped clicked in and fans running.

now to get it regassed.

thanks again