Pre MOT tips please...?

Maverik

Ok, my truck is just about ready for its MOT - 1987 reg Land rover 90 with 200tdi disco transplant, the MOT is booked so I'm just running through final checks to make sure it will pass first time. Its booked into a Land Rover friendly garage (from what I'm told) Jim King, Inverurie, Aberdeenshire.

The truck has been striped pretty much to the chassis and then re-built, but with nice new bolts and more. All my elctrics/lights work, its got a bit of a lift and some bucket seats and its kinda multi coloured at the moment as I've replaced a lot of dinted panels (see my build thread) My link

Now I'm just looking for any advice for MOT time, anyone got anything I should be checking/doing to make it fly through without any problems?

Thanks

Mav

Lights, tyres, warning lamps, excessive oil leaks, wheel bearings, steering/suspension joints/bushes, and seat/belt security, fill the washers up and away you go, I think?

Oh, and don't go to a play day beforehand  :rolleyes:

Lights - new/all work

Tyres - new and new wheels

Warning lamps - all work

Oil leaks - non

Wheel bearings - new

Steering - new

Suspension - new (except rad arms)

Joints and bushes - new

Seat belts... hmm 4 point harness's and buckets, fitted when I got it, but they seem to be done right, i.e. all anchor points to seperate fixings, correctly angled off the back of the seat etc.

Squisher bottle - old, but washed out!

Chris, you could always do what I've done in the past ,and put it in for a "Pre MOT" MOT-just to see what he thinks will need doing then you can take it away and sort it before the actual test

"Oil leaks-none", are you sure your driving a land Rover laugh.gif

John

Hmm its just getting it there and back thats the problem as I will have to drive it, I dunna want to get pulled over for not having TAX/MOT etc...

I've been reading heeps on MOT tests, I think I'll catch most of the things, I'm a little concerned with the Emmisions/smoke test, it wasn't a bad smoker when I first brought it up the road, but its been sat in the drive for the past 10 months with only ever having engine test runs, which is not good when it comes to carbon deposit build ups. I'll be taking it the "scenic" route to the garage to try and give it a good run before hand with a tank of redex I'm hoping it will be ok, failing that I can't see I can do much more...

I went to set up the headlamps last night and guess what, one of them blew straight off before I even got to the adjuster screw... then found that the reversing light switch had given up... talk about 1 step forward and 2 back....!

a good way to help pass the emmisions test after standing for a while is to give it a bit of a thrash to the garage to give it a chance to clear.

Make sure you warm it up first before you do it so as not to cause any damage, and then just drive to the garage in a lower gear than you normally would.

This tip has worked wonders when I have taken old transits etc for MOT

Hmm its just getting it there and back thats the problem as I will have to drive it, I dunna want to get pulled over for not having TAX/MOT etc...

If you are on the way to a testing station and you get pulled with no MOT, they just confirm this with the garage and let you on your way

Thanks Aaron

"Oil leaks-none", are you sure your driving a land Rover laugh.gif

It is true and I'm not expecting it to last very long! but presently even the most stubborn oil hasn't managed to leak out while its been sat not doing anything...

I'am actually bricking it, it would'nt suprise me if the engine gives up on the way there! I'm fearing Jack frost had a good go at it last winter - 3k stripped engine from turners... price it up now then there's no dissapointment when it does happen. Unfortunatly the machine has bled all optamism out of me over the past year. Driving a finshied project better be as good as everyone makes it out to be!!!

Just do it, what's the worst that can happen?!

True, its more a time thing, I don't want it to drag out... re test another week waiting? etc etc. I'm trying to get it painted too all for the end of October... gonna be tight as it is... Still got some engine bits to do..

Also its pretty much all my own work thats up for scrutinisation, I want it to work first time, kinda of like an exam for me, hence why I'm being so anal about it.

Chris, chill out mate and have some confidence in your work, I'm sure with all the work you've put into it it'll be fine, and if it fails it'll be on something minor, land Rovers as most on here will tell you and you'll find out are never finished-well everyone that I know say's that lol !

As regards to any oil leaks if it's not leaking it's empty and therefore needs refilling again laugh.gif

You can drive legally as far as I know to an MOT station without MOT or tax as long as you have an appointment there,give the forum traffic policeman a shout and he'll tell you exactly what the score is I think the guy's name is Si White

Thing is, you may find it's good enough to pass on the first go-take it in and see if it does or not what have you got to lose?

John

I was worried with my Series III, first time I'd built a car or undertaken any project of such a size, and it passed first time...once the garage stuck some reflectors on for me ^_^

The Haynes manual has an MOT check-list in it, or look up the MOT manual on the web, if you want to do a pre-MOT check :)