rewireing

You'll probably pay through the nose for an Auto sparky... If you can find time you'd learn heeps doing it yourself.

I didn't have a clue about auto electrics until I took mine apart as it had been chopped and changed by another "amature".. butcher...

Having an original 86yr n/a loom I upgrade the fuse box to a blade type, put in new wire and relays for the headlamps (just kept the old wiring in for the lamps, can use as a back up if I need too) and just this last weekend I made a new engine harness. Its pretty simple stuff, if you sit down and follow the circuit diagrams.

I went and got a wee multimeter thats ace. Now I have lights on my Dash that I nevere had before! good ones!!!

A very early n/a then Mav ;)

Mo

Yup... hence its condition after 5 owners I guess. I think it only had "originally" 3 relays, everything is (was) straight through wired. I hadn't realised just how simple it was until I stripped a TD5 loom out of a TD5 bulkhead, holy monkeys....

You'll probably pay through the nose for an Auto sparky... If you can find time you'd learn heeps doing it yourself.

I didn't have a clue about auto electrics until I took mine apart as it had been chopped and changed by another "amature".. butcher...

Having an original 86yr n/a loom I upgrade the fuse box to a blade type, put in new wire and relays for the headlamps (just kept the old wiring in for the lamps, can use as a back up if I need too) and just this last weekend I made a new engine harness. Its pretty simple stuff, if you sit down and follow the circuit diagrams.

I went and got a wee multimeter thats ace. Now I have lights on my Dash that I nevere had before! good ones!!!

What sort of multimeter did you get, I need to tackle the wiring on my 1986 90 dash as well. I've had a look at few in Halfords and other auto spare shops and been put off a bit. I need an idiot proof one.

What sort of multimeter did you get, I need to tackle the wiring on my 1986 90 dash as well. I've had a look at few in Halfords and other auto spare shops and been put off a bit. I need an idiot proof one.

I got one of these from Homebase!!! My link It's a really simple one, has a voltmeter and a continuity tester in it, and a small digital display, works a treat as I don't really need it to do anything fancy, but make sure you have a few spare batteries in stock, if you leave it switched on it drains it pretty quick.

I'm sure there are better ones around, but its all I could get at the time, certainly got my moneys worth out of it.

These are pretty good for living in the toolbox as the leads are self-contained:

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/in04877/compact-dmm-multimeter-digital/dp/IN04877

Best option with a simple loom like yours is to buy a new one from Autosparks, it should pretty much be a game of join-the-dots after that, most connectors are keyed so will only fit in the right place, and the wire colours are a reasonable guide too.

Oh and buy a bag of 1000 cable ties and use them all.

These are pretty good for living in the toolbox as the leads are self-contained:

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/in04877/compact-dmm-multimeter-digital/dp/IN04877

Best option with a simple loom like yours is to buy a new one from Autosparks, it should pretty much be a game of join-the-dots after that, most connectors are keyed so will only fit in the right place, and the wire colours are a reasonable guide too.

Oh and buy a bag of 1000 cable ties and use them all.

Multimeter - Buy a gray one as above link! the yellow ones cost 3 times as much!

Multimeter - Buy a gray one as above link! the yellow ones cost 3 times as much!

No they don't!

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/dt830d/digital-multimeter-continuity/dp/IN05650

The ones without continuity (not so useful) are only £2.50 plus the VAT :P

For Land Rover work you don't need mega accuracy, and at £2.50 you won't cry if you run it over / drop it in a puddle etc.

I bought a few of these and scattered them round the house & shed, otherwise you can never find one when you need it! Plus my "good" one, and my pocket one, and my clamp meter...