hand brake adjustment

TravelTed

Hi my 1993 disco 1 has just scraped through its MOT after a lot of work,blood,sweat and swearing!one of the advisoties though relates to the hand brake and I have looked at said brake and have no idea how to adjust it. I would be eternally thankfull for any advice in this matter. Some one said to me "why did you buy a 17 year old peice of junk" he gets out of hospital in two days!!! he did no even notice the landrover T shirt I was wearing.

Hi,

What did the advisory say?

If the handbrake isn't gripping enough the adjuster on the back of the handbrake drum may need screwing in due to pad wear.

If the hand brake is gripping, but the lever is at the 12 O'clock position and you have tried the adjuster screw on the back of the handbrake then you may need to adjust the handbrake sleeve as the cable has stretched slightly. If it's a '93 then I guess you will have a rod coming out the back of the handbrake into a small bracket/frame with the pivot arm in to pull the pads out/put the handbrake on. You should see two nuts holding the outer sleeve of the handbrake cable onto the frame with excess thread either side. This is what you need to adjust to bring the lever down to the 2 O'clock position.

Steve

Hi my 1993 disco 1 has just scraped through its MOT after a lot of work,blood,sweat and swearing!one of the advisoties though relates to the hand brake and I have looked at said brake and have no idea how to adjust it. I would be eternally thankfull for any advice in this matter. Some one said to me "why did you buy a 17 year old peice of junk" he gets out of hospital in two days!!! he did no even notice the landrover T shirt I was wearing.

Section 10, Maintenance describes how Workshop Manual

HTH