R380 / LT230 telltale?

calle-fas

Hi all.

I have found a new oil leak in my transmission. It's where my main gearbox (R380) mates to the transfer box (LT230).

What the picture does not show is that in top of the big hole where the oil comes from there is a small channel on the R380 side. This leads me to think this is a telltale hole. Could this be correct?

What I've done that's a bit unnormal is maxing out on revs, third gear, to clean out soot before MOT tomorrow. I'm not too worried about this oil leak as I've checked oil level and will continously watch this leak. But what does it indicate?

post-11355-089075500 1285624010_thumb.jpg

There is a sleeve that is pressed onto the output shaft of the R380.

The rear seal in the R380 runs on a journal at one end of the sleeve, and the front seal in the LT230 runs on a journal at the other end of the sleeve. These 2 seals are separated by a small distance and there is a groove between the seal journals for the tool used to remove the sleeve.

Both seals are orientated to prevent oil leaking out of their respective cases, however if it does, there is a groove on the mounting face of the LT230 for the purpose of allowing the leaking oil to escape.

Be aware that oil often leaks from the intermediate shaft of the LT230 and wind, etc. can make this appear to have come from between the gearbox and transfer case.