tubed tyres

hi all

been a member here for a while now but this is my first posting so please be gentle with me. we have owned a disco 300tdi for 2 yrs now, 2" lift ,snorkel, home-made box section sills and rock sliders and bull bar. since getting the disco we've done loads of green laning trips including rudland rigg and stanage edge and houndkirk moor.

now down to the technical question!

i've been offered some avon rangemaster tube type tyres for a bargain price(fitted to s3 lwb tubed rims). will i be able to fit these to disco steel wheels without tubes or will i have to have tubes or will they just not fit at all?

i want to keep the disco rims if possible as they have been reversed so i still get full steering lock with no stops fitted on 235/85 and 750's

thanx in advance for the replies and sarcasm!!

hi all

been a member here for a while now but this is my first posting so please be gentle with me. we have owned a disco 300tdi for 2 yrs now, 2" lift ,snorkel, home-made box section sills and rock sliders and bull bar. since getting the disco we've done loads of green laning trips including rudland rigg and stanage edge and houndkirk moor.

now down to the technical question!

i've been offered some avon rangemaster tube type tyres for a bargain price(fitted to s3 lwb tubed rims). will i be able to fit these to disco steel wheels without tubes or will i have to have tubes or will they just not fit at all?

i want to keep the disco rims if possible as they have been reversed so i still get full steering lock with no stops fitted on 235/85 and 750's

thanx in advance for the replies and sarcasm!!

You will need to use the tubes. Tube type tyres do not have an internal impermeable rubber skim to seal them.

HTH

Mark.

first off, running reversed disco steels on the road is highly illigal and not terribly safe.

Avon range masters quite frankly arnt worth the money, you can buy much better for £60 a corner.

You should also check the ratings of avon range masters, i dont believe they are suitable for a discovery.

first off, running reversed disco steels on the road is highly illigal and not terribly safe.

Avon range masters quite frankly arnt worth the money, you can buy much better for £60 a corner.

You should also check the ratings of avon range masters, i dont believe they are suitable for a discovery.

Whats illegal or unsafe about reversed disco rims ? They are no different to any other rim that has a big offset providing they are done properly. I had absolutely no problems with mine which were properly centred and rewelded.

MO

as i live in derbyshire i'm around here every day!!

been using em for 2 yrs now without a single problem. perfect balancing and no worn bearings. makes front have a wider track so is more stable than standard.

disco reversed rims are just as safe as any other steel wheel when made correctly-couple of guys i know been using em on triallers for years without any problems-they even reversed rangie rostyles 20yrs ago!

the avons are £60 for 4, on rims. got over 10mm tread in middle and hardly used so proper bargain-not checked the speed rating yet tho so will have to check that-thanx

If Rangemasters are ok on a 110 they are certainly man enough to hold up a Discovery. Though I agree they are not the best around, I would probably not use them if I got given a set free.

I also think your last comment is a little strong, though not being the Defender forum moderator I will leave that up to the powers that be in this forum to decide.

As for the OP's question, you should not really fit tube type tyres to a tubeless rim like the Disco steel rim, but you would need tubes in Rangemasters. Thus it is not a good combination, either get tube type rims or forget the Rangemasters and get tubeless tyres (which would be my suggestion).