Norway next week... any tips?

Orgasmic Farmer

Well finally managed to organise a holiday with the missus (after not being away together for 10 years due to the farm!) and we are off to Norway next week for a fortnight. Anyone been recently/live there with any insider knowledge. Arriving Kristiansands, leaving from Oslo, sleeping out of the Land rover and occasionally in cabins.

All advice gratefully received.

Mark

The road to Geiranger (or as we call it; Gay Ranger ;)) is called Trollstigen and is absolutely stunning as I remember it. There is a very small serpentine road to the top of a mountain where you have a wonderful view over the town and the beautiful fjord.

I'm sure there are some Norwegians here who can give you more info an better tips though.

Mark,

we were there this summer for vacation. The first thing that you have to look for once in Norway is the "Camping Guide" Book, it's free and should be found at any tourist info or camp site. I need to look a bit more for the map of our trip and the places we stayed at, but in the mean time you can get a glimpse of our trip here: http://www.tukojack.com/blogggallery/index.php?level=album&id=7

NOTE; The EU "Camping Card" is not recognized in Norway so don't waste your money on one. The price of food has gone up considerably the last few years, but the price of diesel is on par plus the camp site fees.

Todd.

If you intend to drink at all whilst you are there find out what you are allowed through customs and take it with you. (Probable worth taking your allowance any way even if you don't want it as other will).

Price for anything alcoholic is pretty high.

I paid £10 for a pint at the airport in Stavanger earlier this year, even allowing for inflated airport prices thats a lot!.

I was in Norway the back end of last year and couldn't believe the price of alcohol, we went to the bar once and pretty much made a round last a long time. And as said already the price of food is pretty high also. Its not really a place to go on a tight budget or not in my experience, I intend to go again and would like to do an drive with a route similar to this with an easy going time scale allowing sightseeing etc...

If camping/living out the landy I would certainly take with me as much cereal/rice/noodles/dried foods and squash to make drinks up as I could as you will see your money soon vanish on next to nothing!!!

Thinking about it I would most likely go for a multifuel stove rather than a gas cartridge type incase you cant find the correct fitting that way the fuel for the vehicle is also the fuel for your cooker.

I travel about a bit a la ryan air cheapo flights as and when they come up and have a something I call the Mcdonalds gauage this is basically finding out how much a big mac meal is in the country and Norway tops the list at £9.89 for a standard meal and yes you read that right.

Its a lovely country with friendly people who on the whole speak English very well.

Feel free to PM me if you wish to talk further.

Ian

Well finally managed to organise a holiday with the missus (after not being away together for 10 years due to the farm!) and we are off to Norway next week for a fortnight. Anyone been recently/live there with any insider knowledge. Arriving Kristiansands, leaving from Oslo, sleeping out of the Land rover and occasionally in cabins.

All advice gratefully received.

Mark

There are plenty of cabins for hire. Often owned by private landovners. Price&quality vary wildly.

Buy the roadmap "Cappelens Kart" covering your area at the first petrol station, it is very accurate with regards to cabins for hire, small mountain and toll roads - "bomveg".

It has become trendy for private landovners and and local governments to turn scenic gravel roads in the countryside into toll roads. Keep plenty of money at hand to pay for these. They are all over the place. On the big roads you have to pay as well, tunnels, bridges or regular highways are often toll roads.

In general the diesel is expensive and you spend as much on tollroads, tunnels and bridges as you do on diesel. Food is even more expensive.

The only reason people accept the prices is that the fjords are the most beautiful place on the planet with the mountains not far behind.

Drive Aurlandsvegen and road 306, do visit Undredal and Rjukan, make sure you spend a great many days in the fjord area between Hardanger and Bergen.

You will find the norwegian Land Rover Club web forum of use: http://www.lrforum.com/forum/