Output bearing

I guess that the front output bearing on the transfer box is leaving me.

(300 Tdi 1996)

Is it a big job to do or straight forward and what else would need replacing while i'm there.

Thanks for your support!

Just check this forum / do a search there is a thread were they show how to remove it without taking the whole unit out of the vehicle (guess someone will post it soon). Buy a new output shaft oil seal, preferable genuine OEM. Not much else you have access to.

Not sure what is wrong with your bearing but as it's a ball bearing there will always be some side way play on the shaft, from new.

Cheers

Marco

Ok, so some play is mormal. Hm, I thought I have found the reason for the rumbling noise at near standstill speeds. the output shaft is the only thing in the whole drivetrain that has play. Everyting else is tight. The play I have is approx 1mm up and down is that the kind of normal play to expect?

Thanks for the answer.

I'm rebuilding two LT230 boxes side by side, this video is the front output shaft movement. It's a short shaft with one ball bearing only. You can hear it move up and down / side to side but if it's 1mm or less, difficult to say.

If you take off the flange, remove the oil seal and circlip + refit the flange you can drift the shaft + bearing to the front, tapping it with a hammer / soft bar. Can not find the thread but it's on this forum with images to show how to do it.

Cheers

Marco