Will I end up destroying my turbo

BillyH

As per the title. I have recently had a tune from JE Engineering. Whilst I found them very friendly and full of advice, I didn't feel like a unique customer when I asked if a tune could be altered to suit a future decat.

"Look, I just install this software and change the turbo a bit. Everyone gets the same"

So I felt rather deflated after that!

Anyway, can anyone tell me what my chances are of destroying my turbo if I now get a decat, as I've been warned that I am removing too much back pressure.

Thanks

I had a Superchip tune on my old Td5 along with a straight-through centre section and no cat, it went like the clappers and sounded great :) No problems at all with the turbo over a couple of years or so including some long trips down through France. (85 - 90 on the autoroutes :D )

The turbo will only spin up fast enough to achieve the maximum boost pressure, once this is reached the wastegate opens to limit/regulate it so the turbo and engine is "protected" against overboost.

You dont want any backpressure AFTER the turbine on a turbocharged engine. The best exhaust possible would be a 4" pipe off the housing and poking out the wing.

The turbine works on pressure differential to make it spin, so less backpressure makes it spool faster, plus lower backpressure means the pressure before the turbine also drops reducing EGT's.

So no, you wont break the turbo!

Me too :P

For TD5 Discos at least, I found out that pre-2203 exhausts didn't have the cat and those pipes will fit post 2003 models, so any exhaust supplier should be able to sell you one, it won't be stainless but it'll be cheaper ;)

Me too :P

For TD5 Discos at least, I found out that pre-2203 exhausts didn't have the cat and those pipes will fit post 2003 models, so any exhaust supplier should be able to sell you one, it won't be stainless but it'll be cheaper ;)

I'm actually eyeing up the £65 ones on eBay :rolleyes:

Just out of interest, was your poor experience at JE, or one of their agents?

As I said above, it wasn't that I experienced 'poor' service, as such. My 90 goes like the wind now.

My issue was that I didn't feel like a customer who was getting a tune which was unique to my vehicle... All the reviews I read were people saying that they had tuned it to the way it was driven and how the vehicle was set up (decat, egr removed etc)

I asked if I could get it tuned to suit a 90 without EGR and a future decat. The bloke just said "Look mate, I just get in your car, install this software and change the wastegate. Everyone gets the same"

I just felt as if my money wasn't being invested in something that was tailored to my 90...

In answer to your question, I was at JE's premises.