Pimp My Ride...

sixpot

My truck needs some moderate blinging in the form of a nice coat of Marine Blue and Limestone. In the UK I used to use those wonderful paints known as "Tractol" and "Tekaloid" but I'm drawing a serious blank over here looking for a good, slow drying coach enamel I can slap on with a quick wash and a roller. Can anyone suggest any good alternatives this side of the Atlantic? :blink:

Cheers All

Luke

Excellent question. It seems the demand is for quick drying sprayable paints over here.

John

Home Hardware have a line of "brushable" paint called Melmine or mime, i've done two Series trucks with it roller and brush method...............

not too shiney not too dull............... :)

Thanks guys.

I've not found "Home Hardware" yet. I'll search out Melmine in the stores round here - sounds good.

However, my digging around is suggesting that there are now good alternatives to 2-pack out there that are shiny straight from the gun and don't kill you if you're "only" wearing a face mask. Does anyone have any experience of these? I quite fancy having a go at spraying but have always been put off by several crummy finishes I've seen using cellulose.

Cheers

Luke

Just to throw a twist into the conversation......Have you considered using a decent paint like sikkens and renting a proper draft paint booth? I did an old pick-me-up truck this way once and the paint and thinner, masking tape, newsprint, plastic and booth time cost me about 250 bucks cdn. The majority of the cost went to the paint and thinner I believe. Did all the prep at home, drove the truck to that rental shop, taped it all up in the parking lot then into the paint booth it went. No fumes, real nice finish with lots of coats too.

Just a thought.

cheers, Bill

ps...that same truck was written off 7 months later when a school buss crossed the road and hit it head on.

"Just to throw a twist into the conversation......Have you considered using a decent paint like sikkens and renting a proper draft paint booth?"

I spray painted the 110 with Caterpillar Tractor co's own "Cat Yellow" cheap at $40.00 per gal and i didn't have a proper booth.............. turned out not too bad if i do say so meself :)

Yes, pics would be good!!

Thanks guys. Your booth rental idea sounds good Bill but I'm not sure I can be bothered!!! At least I now have a garage I can actually get the Landy in while it's being painted - the last time I painted it, outside, I found one of our cats asleep in the front tyre after she'd wandered all over the bonnet. Not to mention the time before when it went from beautiful blue skies to rain in less than 5 minutes after the "best finish ever" had been achieved...

Cheers

Luke

• 1 month later...

OK - I've made progress now! Hastened by the fact that biblical rains, large chunks falling off trees and Tractol paint don't seem to mix very well... :unsure:

I finally found a company that will custom mix any colour you want in acrylic enamel. I think it's the same stuff they do in aerosol cans. This stuff stinks, but they could supply me quart tins and what's more they found Marine Blue and Limestone on their database. As I don't have any spray kit, I've done two doors with a roller and brush and to be honest it looks fabulous. Really shiny and an excellent smooth finish. It also dries in minutes.

Ironically, I was never particularly happy with the Tractol "marine blue" colour. Looked too dark to me (see the picture in Dave's "blow the dust" thread). The new paint looks just right! It means I now need to paint the whole vehicle but at least it'll be the correct colour now :D

If anyone's interested I can get the make of the paint - can't remember off the top of my head.

Cheers!

Luke

OK - I've made progress now! Hastened by the fact that biblical rains, large chunks falling off trees and Tractol paint don't seem to mix very well... :unsure:

I finally found a company that will custom mix any colour you want in acrylic enamel. I think it's the same stuff they do in aerosol cans. This stuff stinks, but they could supply me quart tins and what's more they found Marine Blue and Limestone on their database. As I don't have any spray kit, I've done two doors with a roller and brush and to be honest it looks fabulous. Really shiny and an excellent smooth finish. It also dries in minutes.

Ironically, I was never particularly happy with the Tractol "marine blue" colour. Looked too dark to me (see the picture in Dave's "blow the dust" thread). The new paint looks just right! It means I now need to paint the whole vehicle but at least it'll be the correct colour now :D

If anyone's interested I can get the make of the paint - can't remember off the top of my head.

Cheers!

Luke

Sure get us the company name.............. You have such a great selection in the US

I really like their "old fashioned hardware stores"

Sure get us the company name.............. You have such a great selection in the US

I really like their "old fashioned hardware stores"

Yeh, and a couple of pics of the doors too if you could. I've brush painted my 109 but while it did all end up one color the finish was only ok.

Its getting to the stage where the 90 could benefit from some replacement panels but currently I'm not sure if hand painted (by me) straighter panels might not look worse than the current shiney yellow panels albeit bent and sans paint in many areas.