90 door seal question

Hi All,

Yesterday I started refitting the interior of my 90 (3 door) it went well but I seem to remember the being signs of a rubber seal attached to the sills that sealed the gap between the bottom of the door and the sill or am I imagining it?

I can’t use the old sills as a reference as they were almost dust and now landfill but I think they had rivet holes of a seal fitted in the distant past.

Does anyone know if that’s correct or even better has anyone got a photo of a 90 with the door open showing where and how it fits?

Thanks in advance :blink:

James

on the outer edge there should be a spot welded on P shaped metal strip, the bottom door seal is rivetted to that strip/sill channel, you could convery to the later 300tdi bottom seal which fits to the bottom face of the door.

item 2 on page 843

Thanks Ralph,

Do they just rivet to the underside leading face of the door and also are these the same things?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEFENDER-FRONT-DOOR-BOTTOM-SEAL-UP-LA933876-/270289009990?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3eee7afd46

Cheers

James

Thanks Ralph,

Do they just rivet to the underside leading face of the door and also are these the same things?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEFENDER-FRONT-DOOR-BOTTOM-SEAL-UP-LA933876-/270289009990?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3eee7afd46

Cheers

James

James,

They look like the ones i have on my 90. and you'll probably need some rivets to connect it to the relevant channel. However don't be surprised if you have to really pull/slam your door shut with them fitted!

Chris

Thanks Ralph,

Cheers

James

Yes, that rivets to the outer face of the sill channel, the seal tube should be outwards so when the door is closed the seal compresses & you'll need 2 of them [1 for each side]

this is the later version that rivets to bottom of the door

Please excuse a blatant thread hijack - but hope you can help me with my driver's door seal which clearly is not doing its job as a puddle in the foot well directly next to the hinge shut edge is a common feature.

Anyway - the driver's door seal stops about 1.5 inches above the line of the sill on the hinged door-edge - and from the inside with the door shut you can physically see daylight thro' the gap.

The seal is new - but not fitted by me - is ths a "feature" or std fitting ?

Thanks for your counsel

Thanks western - thought it was rather bizarre - are the non-original LR seals any good - I notice the price differential is huge.. see here

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/3710/CFE102981-DOOR-SEAL-RH-1-PIECE.html?search=front%20door%20seal&page=1

reckon the seal has been cut too short, it should run to the sill on each vertical edge.

I would concur especially as my non LR ones had a particularly hard inserted tube whic lies on the point where the vertical door rolls to the window. presume for wear purposes but no way would my doors slam shut without bits falling off. in the end a stanley knife just below the offending article and pair of pliers door shuts beautifully. there may be shorter life but my door components will last longer