Fitting Discovery Maxidrive Drivetrain on a Defender 110

Hi

Can the the drivetrain (complete third member R&P 4.75 with ARB RD 56 and HD MAxidrive 24 splines rear and front axles ) be fit on a defender 110?

I m assuming the front should a be a bolt on no?

What about the rear which is a Salsbury?

Thanks

Jay

Yep fairly simple bolt on for both axles, assuming we're talking axles from a series one disco. Two small issues for the rear, spring seats and prop. You'll need to use the spring seats off the 110 axle as they are bigger diameter than the disco ones. The salisbury diff has a longer nose and hence uses a shorter prop, so you'll need to source a longer prop. Prop from a TD5 110 with non-salisbury rear axle may fit, or if not a custom prop.

The other fly in the ointemnt is the weight issue, I'm not sure that a rover axle is rated for the rear axle weight of a 110, this may cause problems with the insurance men in the event of an accident unless you had the 110 weights down rated.

Yep fairly simple bolt on for both axles, assuming we're talking axles from a series one disco. Two small issues for the rear, spring seats and prop. You'll need to use the spring seats off the 110 axle as they are bigger diameter than the disco ones. The salisbury diff has a longer nose and hence uses a shorter prop, so you'll need to source a longer prop. Prop from a TD5 110 with non-salisbury rear axle may fit, or if not a custom prop.

The other fly in the ointemnt is the weight issue, I'm not sure that a rover axle is rated for the rear axle weight of a 110, this may cause problems with the insurance men in the event of an accident unless you had the 110 weights down rated.

Mark

Thanks a lot.

Yes we are talking about a Disco Series 1.

Actually i was thinking to swap only the third member not the whole axle....will it work?

For the weight shouldn't the Discovery diff be lighter than the Salsbury?

I will be swaping the disovery MAxidrive drivetrain into the the Defender 110.

I will need a longer prop shaft shouldn't the one on the disco fit which is actually an early range rover prop shaft.

Thanks

Jay

Ah right, if your not swapping the whole axle then no the rear won't fit. The sailsbury diff in a 110 rear axle is different to the rover diffs in the disco axles.

The weight issue isn't the weight of the diff but the weight the axle is rated to take ie the vehcile load, the 110 having a heavier gross weight needs a stronger rear axle, hence it was fitted with the salisbury rear axle.

Disco rear props are shorter than 110 rear props due to the disco only being 100" wheelbase so no that wouldn't fit either. But the prop thing is only an issue if you swap the whole axle as the diff 'nose' on a rover diff is shorter than that on the salisbury.

For the rear your best bet is to get the correct ARB and maybe shafts to fit the salisbury axle, although salisbury standard shafts are quite strong anyway.

For the front yes you can fit the diff and shafts from the disco axle into the 110 axle but you may run inro issues with the CV/hub depending on the age of the vehicles, so in this case an full axle swap would be teh easiest option.