Defender wiper problem

Right then - i have a very annoying problem.

My wipers on the 90" are not performing as per specification.

It started about a year and a half ago when i could'nt turn my wipers off. I have replaced (at that time) the park sensor and the switch assembly - these made no difference. I resorted to pulling the fuse when i didn't need wipers :( . After a while they seemed to just fix themselves :blink: . Until now that is. When we were in Romania in july at a car wash, i pulled away and couldn't turn them off again. When the car arrived back in the UK (trailered back) they worked fine. Now they wiping full time again and i'm getting peeved now. Any ideas? I've heard there is a delay ECU somewhere? is this correct and where will i find the bugger?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome before i smash it to peaces with Landrover tool no:1 :ph34r::lol:

Steve

Forgot to mention its a 1998 300tdi (well originally it was :lol: )

I bought one of these relays, but it didnt work in my 300tdi. It just put the wipers on permenantly.

With the correct relay, to adjust the intermitent wiper to give say a 5 second delay, flick your lever to intermitent, then back to off. Count five seconds an then switch it back to intermitent. Done.

If anyone can point me to the correct relay, I would be very grateful :)

When I switched the wipers on they worked fine, but I couldnt switch them off. They just remined on at the slow speed. Had to remove the relay to stop them. Bit annoying as I really wanted to have adjustable intermitent wipers.

Aragorn, which pins should I try rearranging, and how, please?

Mine both have that as standard, but my Focus had a twisty bit on the stalk where you could actually adjust the time delay between wipes on intermittent mode. Since it always happens to be raining just the wrong amount to suit the Defender's pre-set delay, it would be handy to have it adjustable.

Just fitted a VW '99' relay to the Ibex (300tdi loom). Works a treat, best upgrade I've found for ages :D

As a side benefit I found the number of wipes you get when washing depends on how long you hold the wash button down for. A brief squirt gets only one wipe, holding it down longer seems to give 2 3 or 4 wipes after you let go.

TSD, where did you buy your relay from please?

From these guys via eblag.

Maybe not the cheapest on the bay, but the postage price was honest (extra items free).

Relays were clean, unmarked and arrived next day. Going to upgrade my 90 at the weekend with the second one I bought :D

• 1 year later...

Yer I had a dig around. Looks like I'm making a custom cover for the fuse box (as seen here):post-16322-0-78174300-1331212438_thumb.jpg

It sits on the far left with the flasher relay. Just gonna have to knock something up to go over it all. Don't really want wood but metal is gonna be dodgy - anyone got a plastic moulding tool :P