Noise when cold

custard

Hi

I have a disco2 TD5 on a 52 plate with 99,000 miles on the clock.

I have only had it about a week, and have notice that first thing in the morning when started, (or whenever its cold), as I go to pull away, there is a noise like a noisy bearing, it only last a couple of seconds and doesn't happen after the car has been driven for a while. :(

Any ideas

Thanks

Clutch release bearing may be the culprit, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it gets worse but if it does then expensive attention will be required and TBH at that mileage you might as well change the whole clutch assy.

I would say its the spigott bearing/bush in the end of the crank....it supports the first motion shaft for the gearbox/clutch plate....its only a problem when you press the clutch as thats when it will make the noise.

When it gets too bad it will be a bit harder to get it into gear as the bearing keeps dragging the shaft and turning it so the gearbox internals are still turning.

Only fix is the gearbox out and fit a new one/re grease the old

Please excuse a possibly silly suggestion. Brakes?

Could be dragging for a bit until the disk is clear, some disks can get surface rust over night depending on the pads that are used.

Like I said could be a silly suggestion but when you say cold I take it its been sat for a bit.

Hi, Did think of brakes, but if i just roll back of the drive there is no noise.

Further investigation, the noise is only there when the gear is in gauged by releasing the clutch,

it only last a couple of seconds.

Is this a common thing with a disc2 with close on 100,000 miles.

Hi, Did think of brakes, but if i just roll back of the drive there is no noise.

Further investigation, the noise is only there when the gear is in gauged by releasing the clutch,

it only last a couple of seconds.

Is this a common thing with a disc2 with close on 100,000 miles.

Yes it is....see my above post.

Hi K88 Mud

There is no noise when the clutch is depressed only when the clutch is fully released and the vehicle starts to move.

Is this the same thing, or are you saying the noise is there if you just dip the clutch.

Thanks

If its the bush which is very common it normaly gets worse when the clutch is pressed and released to take up drive....once the disco is then moving you wont hear the noise as all the internals in the box it turning.